PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Knopix from CD

Sn00py
10-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I am a complete novice and NOT very computer literate but I am fed up with Windows and its associated rubbish.. So I thought i would try the well publisiced Knoppix system ..
I have burnt the cd OK and its boots BUT then I get some error reports " Starting X11...cloop :error 3
etc then a load of numbers
retrying with server XFree86 ( Vesa) and again with ( fbdev )
I have reburt the CD using a very slow speed but still get the same errors

Final line states No suitable x Server found for your card
root@tty [/]#
Can some Please explain in very simple terms what I need to do to get it to work so I can at least try it..

I have reburnt the CD using a very slow speed but still get the same errors

I am running an Athlon XP 2000 with 1 mb ram 2 Hdrives of 40 and 20 GB and two cd drives Nvidia GeForce FX5200 on a samsung 19 Inch syncmaster 910N

TIA

Harry Kuhman
10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
.... and its boots BUT then I get some error reports " Starting X11...cloop :error 3
etc then a load of numbers
retrying with server XFree86 ( Vesa) and again with ( fbdev )
I have reburt the CD using a very slow speed but still get the same errors
Final line states No suitable x Server found for your card
I have reburnt the CD using a very slow speed but still get the same errors

I am running an Athlon XP 2000 with 1 mb ram 2 Hdrives of 40 and 20 GB and two cd drives Nvidia GeForce FX5200 on a samsung 19 Inch syncmaster 910N...

Normally I would suggest the vesa cheat code, but I think you are saying that you already tried that.

Did you confirm that you actually have a good ISO by the md5 test? People who download from the mirrors rather than using bittorrent frequently get bad downloads (as do those who stop a BitTorrent download as soon as it says 100% rather than waiting for itto say it got the last few blocks).

Sn00py
10-30-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok Many many thanks for you quick reply.. I do not know how to use or do a md5 chesk sum as you suggest and as far as cheats go I have NO idea of what you mean.. ~

I am a complet novice at this although I do know my way around windows and am hardware aware as I built this and otherPC's in the past. Sorry if I appear tob so thick but i am quite elderly ( Pension age ) so this is ALL completely new to me . If I have come to the wrong place to learn then PLEASE point mein the right place and hopefully I can and wil learn..

Regards

Harry Kuhman
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Please see answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman) or alternately Google is your friend (aka STFW).

Sn00py
10-30-2007, 09:36 PM
OK I don't know waht an MD5 check sum is and I cannot find the FAQs so so far all the info you have given me is ver the top of my head
I have tried google and it point me to this forum ..

If this forum and it's members cannot help me then I am stuck with windows ..Oh Well I tried !

Dear harry you obviously know what you are doing and seem a little short in patience with a complet novice .

Harry Kuhman
10-30-2007, 10:02 PM
OK I don't know waht an MD5 check sum is and I cannot find the FAQs so so far all the info you have given me is ver the top of my head
I have tried google and it point me to this forum ..

If this forum and it's members cannot help me then I am stuck with windows ..Oh Well I tried !

Dear harry you obviously know what you are doing and seem a little short in patience with a complet novice .

Pointing me nowhere except to google ....

Now hwere can I find out how to do a MD5 check sum ... But Thanks for your time any way Mine is getting shorter by the day !
I'm at a loss as to why you can't find the FAQ. My purpose in giving you a link to answer #1 rather than directly to the FAQ was because it explains how to find the FAQ, and indeed all of the other FAQs, so that the next time you or someone else reading this doesnt need to ask for a link to the next FAQ as well. Let me restate what is said in my personal wiki entry:

Look at the top of this page. Right under KNOPPIX.net and from zero to Linux in 5 minutes there is a row of links. The fourth one is Documentation. When you click that it will open up the main page of the wiki. You can scroll down and find the Downloading faq and also see all of the other FAQs that are written there (which may come in handy later). But finding the downloading FAQ is even easier, we refer people to it so often that a link to it exists at the top of the main page. In fact, it's the first link under the words MAIN PAGE.

The downloading faq explains all important aspects of downloading and burning (There is a Burning faq that just links back to the downloading FAQ for the sake of those looking for a burning FAQ).

The downloading FAQ will give you a few suggestions for md5 software to use, although any md5 test software will likely work. I generally use md5summer. If you have a recent version of Quickpar installed on your system already, it will also run the md5 test for you (Quickpar is very handy for anyone who downloads from newsgroups and has a few other nice uses too). And I'm at a loss on how Google could have failed you, it found the tools that I use for me. But now you have more information, and any of the md5 tools that I mentioned, the ones in the downloading faq, or other ones that you find, and the original md5 file from the mirror or from your bittorrent download, will let you confirm if your download was good or not.

If the ISO turns out to be good, then I'll go back to the vesa suggestion (you are burning with the verification option selected, are you not, and using a 700 meg CD and not a 650 meg CD?). If the ISO is a bad download the the source of the problem is found. I strongly suggest learning to use BitTorrent (yes, yet another thing to learn, but if that upsets you then Linux is not for you). BitTorrent may even be able to fix your bad download without your needing to download everything again (depemds on how bad the corruption is). At worst case a BitTorrent download of the ISO should go much faster than a download from the mirrors (assuming that you properly configure your system for BitTorrent and you're not a Comcast victim).

Sn00py
10-31-2007, 08:13 AM
Many Many thanks for your time and your detailed reply. I think I understand a little more now, THANKS to you . I will study carefully and see how I get on ... May be you are right in saying it is not for me ! Only time will tell..

Thanks again I WILL let you know the outcome and if I am successful in getting it to work and understanding it .

Regards

Harry Kuhman
10-31-2007, 07:53 PM
May be you are right in saying it is not for me !
I think I tried to say something more like "If learning new things, particularly simple things like using MD5s or setting up BitTorrent, upsets you, then maybe Linux is not for you". The choice is yours, if you are willing to learn new things or not. But if you are not willing to learn new things then I don't know why you would try Linux.

Do let us know how the md5 check goes (although I can't understand why you didn't already post about that). And if you need other help we'll try to provide it.

Sn00py
11-03-2007, 10:52 AM
OK Got it working thats to the invaluable help that was given . Many thanks again , Is it for me ? Thats what I now have to decide . will try it for a few weeks and then see .

Seems to be quite easy to use and navigate, contrary to some of the reports I had previously recieved. only time will tell. Many many thanks yet again .

regards
:D

Harry Kuhman
11-03-2007, 07:21 PM
OK Got it working thats to the invaluable help that was given....
What was the problem? Knowing this will aid us in helping others, or may help someone else who searches this forum and finds this thread in the future.

Sn00py
11-04-2007, 09:03 AM
Did as YOU instructed , ( never was very good at taking instructions :oops: ) got Bittorrent and downloaded it from one of the bit torrent downloads ( Took me a while to figure out how, but if I can do it anyone should be able to ) burnt that image using Nero to a 700 MB cd ... HEY PRESTO now tring to get my networking on line but I am sure I WILL do it eventualy now that I have found the FAQ answers etc thanks to you Harry

Cannot thank you technical know how people enough Thanks again, and hopefully this will be the Last you hear of me !

Regards
Snoopy :D

Harry Kuhman
11-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Should we assume that the md5 test proved the first ISO was bad? That seems to be the only reason for a re-download. But you stressed that you used a 700 meg CD this time. Did you use a 650 before? (I would have expected that to cause a burning error, but I figured it was worth mentioning, just in case.)

You don't have to go away. We might even know a little more about Linux and be able to offer more help.

Sn00py
11-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Harry , in answer to your questions,

Yes md5 sum was BAD on the 1st download ....

And secondly I used 700 Mb CDs on BOTH Occassions so it had to be down to the down load. Might try it again from the same source and see what happens . but it seems a little strange , but as you so rightly stated you seem to get better results using the Torrent system .

I will hang around and read what happens and may be learn a thing or two . But thanks ... Still trying to get the internet to work but I will get there in the end ... so much help on the documentation pages (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page) ....but if I am really really stuck again i will ASK.... Promise :)

Excellent forum btw

Harry Kuhman
11-06-2007, 09:36 AM
.... Might try it again from the same source and see what happens . but it seems a little strange ....
I doubt that it is worth the bother. I had about 50% bad downloads before torrents for Knoppix became available (and yet Knoppix is about the only file I've had problems downloading). And I suspect that if you still have both ISO files and check the sizes you'll see that the bad one is a bit larger than the good one. Comparing the files byte by byte will even show you what is going wrong. But the bottom line is that BitTorrent is both more reliable and faster.