PDA

View Full Version : Just tried Knoppix - cannot mount hard drive - HELP!

The Living Legend
11-10-2007, 02:05 PM
I am trying to copy the SAM and SYSTEM files from my XP NTFS HD. Someone suggested Knoppix. When I click on the icon for HDA1 I get Could not mount device. Mount: I could not determine the filesystem type and none was specified.

I have NO idea what to do next!

Please can someone help a real novice.

cypher
11-12-2007, 03:50 AM
haha, i had the same problem but i could not unmount my harddrive.

the way you install knoppix is very important. the best tutorial you can find is here:

http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=videos/knoppix1

keep in mind that if you don't have a linux swap file, you may get nothing but a black box on a background. if you do, start the kernal by typing in order:

"sudo -s"

"knoppix-installer"

this will fire up qtparted,which you can use to partition and fix your hardrive, then setup your installation.

if worst comes to worst on your hardrive, download killdisk on another computer, save it to a bootable floppy, and run it in your computer. you can start from scratch and you should have no problems then.

Harry Kuhman
11-12-2007, 05:18 AM

the way you install knoppix is very important......
Why assume he was foolish enough to "install" Knoppix at all instead of just running from the CD? It seems much more likely that the hard disk partition has been ruined by windows bad enough that Knoppix can't mount it.

The Living Legend
11-12-2007, 07:36 PM

the way you install knoppix is very important......
Why assume he was foolish enough to "install" Knoppix at all instead of just running from the CD? It seems much more likely that the hard disk partition has been ruined by windows bad enough that Knoppix can't mount it.

I am running Knoppix from the CD so can you tell me how to mount the drive please?

Harry Kuhman
11-12-2007, 07:59 PM
... It seems much more likely that the hard disk partition has been ruined by windows bad enough that Knoppix can't mount it.

I am running Knoppix from the CD so can you tell me how to mount the drive please?

You mount partitions in Knoppix exactly the way that you would expect. By clicking on the desktop partition icon (which mounts them read only by default). Or from a command shell with the mount command. But sometimes windows can muck up a partition so badly that Knoppix can't mount it. Other times windows may have only mucked up the partition table, in which case gpart or testdisk may be able to recover it for you. See man gpart or man testdisk for details.