PDA

View Full Version : ssh logging in. What password ?!

jameshanley39
11-12-2007, 04:20 PM
I got the sshd service running. clicked the penguin..services, and found start ssh service

The username on the computer I am logging into, is "knoppix" at least that is what is displayed when I type "whoami".

I can do
$ssh knoppix@192.168.2.3
But it asks me for a password.

If I set a password then I would know it!! How can I set the password?

jameshanley39
11-13-2007, 05:37 AM
I have the answer.. I got it largely via IRC (e.g. using the MIRC client) I googled knoppix IRC and it said what servers to connect to. And I joined #knoppix and asked.

The passwd command changes password, they said.
It seems to allow creation of users too. But I never actually used that in the end.

I noticed that after starting ssh server (by doing something like clicking the penguin...services..start ssh server) . It then told me the username(no big deal, I can find that with the whoami command). And it also asked me to set the password.

So that solves that. I don`t know how I did not notice that before. Maybe I just hit return and then it said "hit return to exit" and I did and the windows closes. And maybe with a blank password it won`t allow a connection.

I strongly suggest that people if they get their problems solved, answer here. This forum seems very dead.

I have even seen posts asking how to start the ssh server, go unanswered. This is very strange.