PDA

View Full Version : Backup from ntfs filesystem to usb stick or dvd-r (SOLVED)

lappen
11-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Okey so it sounds easy and I hope it is but i'm stuck.

I have around 3GB of data on my harddrive, (windows, ntfs filesystem) Pictures, Documents, etc that I need to make a backup of.
First I have 3 options, either I can burn to a dvd with the bundled K3b or I could just copy to my usb stick but I can't get any of it to work or a 3rd ...... option.

1. Burn to a DVD-R
I started K3b and prepared everything (the project), and bash.
unmounted, and ejected the dvd, inserted a empty dvd and tried to burn but got a error msg so it failed. (sorry for not supplying the errormsg but it was somthing about a remount, will see if I find any logs if they exist)

2. Copy to a usb-stick
I have a 4GB Voyager GT Readyboost stick which I used to boost vista so it's full at the moment but I can't find any files on the stick

knoppix@Knoppix:/mnt/sda1$ ls -a
. ..
knoppix@Knoppix:/mnt/sda1$ df -h /mnt/sda1/
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 3.9G 3.9G 12M 100% /media/sda1

3. Reinstall Vista for the gazillionth time

I rather go with option 2, I really don't want to go with option 3 i'm migrating back to linux again sick off all the crashes and lost userprofiles.

EDIT :
As soon as I get the above sorted I'm doing a knoppix-livedvd -> gentoo install.

Jorpho
11-21-2007, 07:14 PM
Shouldn't you be doing ls -a /media/sda1 instead of ls -a /mnt/sda1 ?

lappen
11-22-2007, 02:18 AM
Shouldn't you be doing ls -a /media/sda1 instead of ls -a /mnt/sda1 ?

Err I think so though I wrote a disc instead, had to get another dvdreader couldn't get it to work when I unmounted the livedvd