PDA

View Full Version : No internet after hd installation problem

kingarthur
05-30-2003, 08:14 AM
I'll try posting this question in a very simple way. :D
I have tested my hardware (modem connection included) with the iso-3.2 CD. Everithing is simply perfect. Internet browsing no problem.

After installing on the HD, no problem for this, I can't get my (dial-up) internet connection back to work. It's really driving me nuts...

PLEASE NOTE: Modem works fine. I can ping my ISP no problem but if I try wathever, it won't resolve the domain names.
If I try on my local network setting up a local web server, LAN connection works.
Have been looking in my iptables to check and tried a /ets/init.d/iptables clear but didn't make a difference.
Can anybody come up with a wise suggestion?
It seems like a small thing I'm overlooking.....
Cheers to all Knoppix/linux users
pieter

garyng
06-01-2003, 12:43 AM
/etc/resolv.conf

that is where the DNS entries is stored

kingarthur
06-01-2003, 11:52 AM
/etc/resolv.conf

that is where the DNS entries is stored

and that is where the problem was....

Many many thanks, I believe this could help many others on this list

Bye Pieter

madtripper
07-10-2003, 09:21 AM
I'm having an almost identical problem but I get no network whatsoever when I boot from my hdd. When booting from the CD, I have full support with no issues. I checked the following:

/etc/resolv.conf -->same when running from cd or hdd
/etc/network/interfaces --> same when running from cd or hdd

when I run netcardconfig on the hdd boot, I receive the following:
Sending DHCP boradcast from device eth0failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
Failed.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here but I'm amazed that I can run from the CD and go anywhere but when I try a clean install, I get nothing.

Any help would be great.

Tripper

madtripper
07-11-2003, 03:19 AM
Oddly enough, I took the unit home and it came right up on my network. I did the original install at work and the situation was as stated in my previous post. When I plugged in to my router at home, I was up with no issues. I'm still unclear as to why and it would be nice if I could have the access while at work so if anyone came up with anything, please let me know.

Tripper

eeee
09-21-2003, 12:39 AM
when I run netcardconfig on the hdd boot, I receive the following:
Sending DHCP boradcast from device eth0failed to connect to localhost:bootpc: Network is unreachable
Failed.

Fixed same problem on different box.

added to /etc/modules.conf:
alias eth0 tulip

You may already have this in modules.conf or may need a different module.

added to /etc/network/interfaces:
auto lo eth0
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcp

The last two lines probably already exist, but missing the first line is enough to keep the loopback from getting an IP which just pisses things off. This is fixed in later versions of the knoppix hd install script.