PDA

View Full Version : Cannot boot into knoppix

cybergeo3
11-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Hey I just build a new computer with a gigabyte mobo, amd 64 x2 +6000, and 2 gb of ram, and I can't get it to boot into knoppix. I've disconnected everything except a single cd drive. When I turn my machine on, I see the knoppix boot menu, but after that only a black screen. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Harry Kuhman
11-18-2007, 12:41 AM
... Any thoughts? ...
Is the disc good? Did you make it yourself, confirm the md5 checksum and burn at low speed? (It works on another system isn't an answer, it pretty much confirms the download was good, but does not address high speed burn problems).

Don't disconnect everything. There is no need (and as you have seen it doesn't help).

You most likely need one or more cheat codes. We don't have any info on your video system, but I'm guessing the vesa code may help. See the downloaded cheatcodes.txt file or the wiki cheatcodes section for details. Alternately knoppix may be trying to run your video at speeds outside the monitor spec, so try cheat codes that force the monitor to work in known acceptable ranges. Also try the failsafe code (you will not want to operate normally under failsafe, but it's a good test to see if Knoppix will run at all).