PDA

View Full Version : Problems Installing VMware Server 1.0.4 on top of Knoppix

Olde Foxx
11-19-2007, 02:40 AM
I have Knoppix 5.1.1 installed on my hard drive. I am trying to install VMWare Server 1.0.4 on top of it. Actually, I succeeded in getting it installed after I used alias -r -c to convert the RPM package to a DEB package. But when I try to run vmware, it tells me I must first run vmware-config.pl.

The problem is that I then need to tell vmware-config.pl where the C Header files are for the Linux Kernel. I finally deduced from other postings that they are in the /usr/include folder.

But now when I try it, I get this message:

The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match
your running kernel (version 2.6.19). Even if the module were to compile
successfully, it would not load into the running kernel.

Am I just barking up the wrong tree here? Can I use the free version of VMware Server, or am I going to have to look at VMware Workstation 6 or something like that?

Am I correct in my interpretation of where the kernel source files are? And will the kernel update or not? I'm still at 2.6.19, but I note that a newer stable version is now available.

JohnnyH
11-20-2007, 10:28 PM
You need the Knoppix custom linux-headers package, which you get with the 5.1.x DVD (but not with the CD, to save room).
I can send you the package if you send me your email address by Forum Private Message. (7.7 MB if your email provider allows this).

JohnnyH
11-20-2007, 10:34 PM
I recommend that you do *not* try to update the kernel - it is customised.
Anyway, and especially to use an updated kernel, you are better off installing Debian instead of Knoppix.
Please refer to
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/HD_Install_Warning_not_to_do_it
which explains, inter alia, the perils of upgrading Knoppix.