PDA

View Full Version : Two questions: Knoopix Desktop and Knoppix Software Managmnt

quddusaliquddus
11-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Hi,
Im using Knoppix 5.2. Basically if i enter "knoppix land=en" at the first screen then when i click the penguin icon on the taskbar and then select Utilities then choose knoppix desktop then a list pops up which includes the following - KDE, Gnome, Beryl etc When i click one of these from the list then a warning dialog box appears whcih is in german if i hadnt entered "knoppix land=en" but is in english otherwise.

Now my questions:

1. Bassically the knoppix desktop that it logs into is in german but if i choose Gnome [as described above] then the taskbar and all the programs within it are in english. I wanted to know whether the gnome version of knoppix has all the same programs as the normal knoppix (that it automatically logs into)

2. Therer's a list of programs (i think) that pops up in the default knoppix desktop in the Knoppix Software Management (kpackage). These are written in englsih. I want to know how i can open the programs listed here and if these are an exhaustive list of programs avaialable in knoppix.

Thanks
Q

hal8000
11-29-2007, 12:21 AM
Hello, first of all where have you found Knoppix 5.2? The download mirrors all show Knoppix 5.11
Please quote the URL if replying.

To answer your first question, look at the bottom (kicker bar) of KDE, there will be a small flag. Click on this to change the language. Gnome and
KDE are desktops, both have access to all installed software but some programs may not be showing on the menues.
If you launch either from a terminal with the name of a program e.g. xboard will start a chess program

Look for synaptic in the menu system, from kde its system then synaptic. Log in as root to us synaptic, it has a GUI so you should
easily be able to navigate it.