PDA

View Full Version : How to install knoppix text only(knoppix 2) on hardware?

inguaravi
11-27-2007, 06:43 AM
Hi friends,

I am learning linux programming and i use knoppix persistent image in the text mode. My computer is slow.. So i can't install entire knoppix GUI to harddisk. How to install knoppix text only mode to harddisk? I have windows also installed.

Plz help....

Harry Kuhman
11-27-2007, 10:23 AM
If you're not using the GUI, then you're not even using most of the packages included with Knoppix. Why use Knoppix when an install of a basic Debian system would be simpler, more stable, and much smaller?

maxIT
11-28-2007, 03:39 PM
If you're not using the GUI, then you're not even using most of the packages included with Knoppix. Why use Knoppix when an install of a basic Debian system would be simpler, more stable, and much smaller?

He he, that's what I've done in my old 'ibm aptiva'. Knoppix 3.4 was too much slow even in text mode. 'Debian Sarge disk1' quick and painless!

samsocal
09-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Why answer a question with another question? This response did not give him the answer he was looking for. The correct answer is to start knoppix in text mode type knoppix 2 at the boot prompt. I boot my knoppix server in text mode because I also don't need the GUI 99% of the time and I don't want it hogging resources.

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Why answer a question with another question? This response did not give him the answer he was looking for. The correct answer is to start knoppix in text mode type knoppix 2 at the boot prompt. I boot my knoppix server in text mode because I also don't need the GUI 99% of the time and I don't want it hogging resources.
I gave the answer that I gave because I was trying to discourage the problem prone idea of installing the Live CD Knoppix rather than a distro that is really intended for hard disk installing like Debian. While some people report success or at least limited sucess with installing Knoppix, there are many many many reports here of people who see the same problems over and over again when installing Knoppix, while a Debian or other distro suitable for hard disk install would be simpler and much more stable. The history of installing Knoppix dates back from the dark ages of Linux when a Debian install was a very technical thing. Now the installer is much more user friendly, and there seems to be no reason to install Knoppix instead of a distro intended for hard disk install and not prone to the problems that Knoppix is.

The original post also indicated that the owner didn't feel his system was suitable for a GUI Linux. It was likely limited in disk space too. So there would be little sense in installing Knoppix (an all or nothing proposition) when he could install a non-GUI based version of Debian and pick and choose just what he wanted. No sense in answering the question, it was a bad question, I anticipated what the real question should have been and answered that one, in a way that I though made it clear what I was saying.

The newbies that come here and post questions about installing Knoppix generally seem to suffer from the baby duck syndrome. Knoppix is the first thing they saw of a Linux system and they think they should follow it no matter where it leads. They seem to be afraid to try anything else. I don't believe that this should be encouraged. Let me ask a different question. Given that Knoppix is a mix of different and somewhat incompatable versions of Debian and there are known problems with installing and using it (particularly when trying to update software or install any new software but certainly not limited to that), why encourage a new user to install Knoppix when there are perfectly suitable versions of Debian and other intended for hard disk distros available?

I would much rather have the new user install something stable and extendable and decide that they like Linux than fight with a Knoppix hard disk install, get disgusted, and go back to Windows.

Harry Kuhman
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
... This response did not give him the answer he was looking for. The correct answer is to start knoppix in text mode type knoppix 2 at the boot prompt.....
You seem to have the correct answer for a completely different question. This would be a fine answer if the poster had asked about starting Knoppix in text mode from the CD, which he did not. He asked about installing Knoppix, even using the terms "on hardware" and "to hard disk". It seems pretty clear, at least to me, that he is asking about doing some sort of minimal Linux install, not about how to start Knoppix in text mode.

chip.ling
01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Hi guys,
So much time have spent to find this solution, and it has appeared so simply!
Thanks a lot!

Hum, I don't find any answer to the question still.

I saw someone suggests the "knoppix 2" cheat-code to START the knoppix in text mode. (which the user who seek help already know: check the title of this thread)

But I still cannot find a solution on how to get rid of all the GUI packages included in the knoppix CD and only INSTALL the text base components to the harddisk.

I'm curious and hopefully see some REAL SOLUTION on this topic. Remastering the cd is one of the possible solution I can think of. Anyone has other solution?

Rgds,
Chip