PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Q's - what's running? How to control processes?

hedgehog
11-29-2007, 02:00 AM
I am new to Knoppix and linux, so if these questions are stupid, please don't be too harsh.
Do a whole heap of possibly unnecessary processes load when Knoppix starts? If so, where can I see what they are, and can they be turned off? Other than basic internet access, I don't need any networking and don't want anything running that permits any remote connection to my computer, or anything "phoning" out from my computer.
Is there a single list of all of the programs/utilities included with Knoppix and what they are, or is there a good site for looking them up?
Finally, can I get an icon show up when connected to the internet? Is there a way of controlling connection to my router in the software (or do I just need to unplug it)?
Thanks.

OErjan
11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
to begin with

ps -aux
in a console gives a full list of running processes.
so does

you kill top by hitting Q.

in top and ps -aux, you can see how much CPU and memory they use, fraction of a percent if inactive,
you may perhaps need to add |less after ps -aux (ps -aux|less) then use arrowkeys to go up/down, to see everything, again you kill less by hitting q.

now as for network acess,
ifconfig eth0 down should shut the networkacess off (eth0 = first network card)
ifconfig eth0 up restarts it again.

as far as I know no remote access is allowed to knoppix by default.

yes there is a list of programs on the CD and DVD, but processes is another matter.

hedgehog
11-29-2007, 01:12 PM
Thanks, OErjan, I'll take a look.

maxIT
11-29-2007, 02:52 PM
Do a whole heap of possibly unnecessary processes load when Knoppix starts? If so, where can I see what they are, and can they be turned off?
Thanks.

As regard the unecessary processess at start, usually they are handled in defferent ways according as specific linux distro. In Debian which Knoppix is based, they resides in the '/etc/rc*.d' directories as symlinks. This is a not very simple topic to explain, but as an example: don't you have a printer connected to your pc? Ok delete all symlinks which are ending with 'cupsys', so as root type 'rm -rf /etc/rc*.d/*cupsys' AT YOUR OWN RISK! :P

hedgehog
11-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Well, trying to stop network access came up with permission denied. Thanks anyway.

OErjan
11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
you must ofcourse be root. sorry i for got that step.
sudo ifconfig eth0 down shold work, also
sudo ifconfig eth0 up
most things on the aminitrative side requires root access (root=admin=superuser=G O D! in linux)

hedgehog
11-30-2007, 12:48 PM
you must ofcourse be root. sorry i for got that step.

Thanks very much, but it is way too involved to be of any use -it'd be much easier to pull the plug. But as I have no idea of what the program is doing or how to interpret the network monitoring, the whole thing is way beyond my capabilities and I'll quit while I'm ahead. Thanks again.

Newbie60
12-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I can get damsmalllinux to boot,but can't connect to internet,what am I doing wrong?

Harry Kuhman
12-21-2007, 10:57 PM
I can get damsmalllinux to boot,but can't connect to internet,what am I doing wrong?
1. You're making your posts in other people's threads about completely different topics rather than starting your own tread. This is sometimes called "hijacking a thread" and is not appreciated.

2. You're not posting in the networking section where this would likely get the most help.

3. You don't give any information for anyone to even start trying to help you. See answer #3 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman).