PDA

View Full Version : Playing Movie DVDs and Music CDs

A. Jorge Garcia
11-30-2007, 01:33 AM
OK, I've got several hdinstalled PCs and I use them for coding and teaching computer science.

So, I've only used CDs and DVDs as backup devices or as bootable live discs.

Now, I realize that I have never used KNOPPIX to play Music or watch Movies! How do I do this on a hdinstalled PC?

TIA,
AJG

hal8000
11-30-2007, 06:00 PM
OK, I've got several hdinstalled PCs and I use them for coding and teaching computer science. So, I've only used CDs and DVDs and backup devices or as bootable live discs. Now, I realize that I never used KNOPPIX to play Music or watch Movies! How do I do this on a hdinstalled PC?

TIA,
AJG

Can you be more articulate? Do you mean you have knoppix installed on a hard drive and want to watch movies, or watch them from a live linux CD?

Either way its the same answer, if youre running from a live CD then obviously the machine needs a second DVD/CD reader.
Software to play CD's is already on knoppix 5.11, take your pick from multimedia.
To watch DVD's you may first have to install libdvdcss from synaptic or the win32codecs package, as you dont specify any
video formats you're wanting to watch. Mplayer, Xine are players that can use to watch your media with, but if its a live CD then makes sure you have plenty of RAM.

A. Jorge Garcia
11-30-2007, 07:37 PM
This is the Hdd Install forum, so I'm talking about an hdinstalled PC.

OK, what I want to do is play Commercial Music CDs or Commercial Movie DVDs.

The closest I've got with Movie DVDs is to mount them with kwikDisk and open them as a data disk from my home folder in konqueror and openning the video files with xine from there. Is that how you do it? BTW, this procedure will not work with any Music CDs I've tried.

Also, I find that some of these video files are encrypted and some are not. Is that what the libdvdcss or win32codecs are for?

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
12-14-2007, 03:35 AM
I seem to remember an application by the name of kscd that auto mounted a music cd and played it. Is kscd or something like it still available. Is there something like it for movies on dvd?

TIA,
AJG