PDA

View Full Version : Problem with compiling source code

Redbeard
12-01-2007, 05:13 PM
So as a newbie Linux user I have installed a Knoppix system on my computer (I'm using an AMD Athlon 1800+ XP processor). Everything works, but it can not find my network adapter (a RealTek RTL8139) card which is kind of irritating (which it can do when you run Knoppix from the CD). Anyway I have tried to compile the source code found on the web (there are two files I have tried: rtl8139.c and 8139too.c) When I try to compile them all I get is a lot of error messages that do not tell me anything really (since I'm a newbie).

I'm trying the following compile command:
gcc -DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c rtl8139.c

To me that command line is mostly greek. Especially the "-DMODVERSIONS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6" line.

Can you type some sort of flag that makes the message that comes up after I type the command readable (like /p in old MS-DOS.)?

I get basically the same message when I try to compile run 8139too.c

Harry Kuhman
12-01-2007, 05:35 PM
... Everything works, but it can not find my network adapter (a RealTek RTL8139) card which is kind of irritating (which it can do when you run Knoppix from the CD)....
You have a curious definition of "Everything works".

This is the HDD install forum. I suggest that you glance at the last page of the forum (Currently as I write this page 175). Look at the last two articles at the bottom of the last page, particularly the second from the bottom. See anything that looks familiar?

This bug has been going on since 2002, over 5 years now. It is posted over and over and over and over again and again in this forum. It is just one of the main reasons many of us advise people not to install Knoppix but to install something suitable for hard disk install like Debian (and is likely one of the many reasons that Klaus Knopper refers to the install script as something that "works occasionally".

You may work out your compile issues, but as you already pointed out, the proper drives are already compiled into Knoppix. So in the end that is not going to resolve your problem.