PDA

View Full Version : HD access possible?

cehjohnson
05-30-2003, 01:10 PM
I could not find this answer in the FAQ, despite the fact i thought it'd be there:

can Knoppix access an HD partition? If it can, which filesystems are supported?

Stephen
05-30-2003, 05:53 PM
You can access your hd with knoppix although you can not write to a ntfs drive. A search of the site with mount hard drive should give you a good place to start.

cehjohnson
05-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks Stephen - i'll do a search. This is all down to a friend who is fed up with using a *nix emulator on Windoze to run a particular program, but who is reluctant to dual-boot. Thought might be able to store the *nix program on ntfs and run it from that partition somehow.

Stephen
05-30-2003, 08:20 PM
What program are you trying to run look in the packages.txt here (ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/) it may already be included with Knoppix.

cehjohnson
06-02-2003, 03:48 PM
Thanks again Stephen! It's lyx actually, but he's dual-booting Suse 8.1 and XP now and installed lyx. The tricky one now is to access his printer on his other XP box connected by an Ethernet crossover from Suse!

cascadefx
06-02-2003, 10:13 PM
Thanks again Stephen! It's lyx actually, but he's dual-booting Suse 8.1 and XP now and installed lyx. The tricky one now is to access his printer on his other XP box connected by an Ethernet crossover from Suse!

Knoppix can read and write most of the Unix/Linux file systems. Sooo, if he has lyx installed on the SuSE partition, he should be able to run it from there.

If he wants to get rid of SuSE altogether. Have him save a FAT32 partition on which to store data (for Windows and Linux) and programs (for Windows and Linux). Then he can run the applications from Linux and save data to the hard drive from Knoppix if need be.