PDA

View Full Version : update: Need to install from removable to local hard drive

xlancealotx
12-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Update: Since this post below, I have now gotten the device to boot propperly using a method read in this forum. So the flash is formatted as fat32 boots into knoppix and now I want to install it to the internal ide embed disc. I would assume I can follow the same method, but that would involve taking the internal 2gb, formatting fat 32, copying over the rest, but doesn't make 100% sense to me.

Is there another way to setup the local disc, once I am booted into the OS? I wish to do this for both speed, reliability and the ability to read/write to the internal drive.

Thanks.

------------------
orignial
-----------------
I just got 2 Ebox 3851's dropped off on my desk
(these are tiny box's, internal 2gb emded drive (seen as IDE0) and a compact flash port (bootable) )

Now my goal is to get knoppix onto the internal drives but have no idea where to start. The compact flash is 1gb so the installer CD will fit, I am just not sure how to go about the install. I read a bit, chatted a bit more, and thought it was resolved by a;
dd if=knoppix.iso of=/dev/sdg (where sdg is the compact flash on my fedora desktop) but no good. I re-thought a few times, so then tried to create a partition (sg1), toggle it bootable then dd the iso over still no good.

So I am not sure how to setup the compact flash to be bootable as well as copy over the CD to be read from and used as the install method to get to the embed disc.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.