PDA

View Full Version : 2 simple things I need

xlancealotx
12-05-2007, 07:22 PM
From the readings, I know it's not 'supported', but I know it's more a 2 minute config someone could help with.

Basically I have a small ebox which boots into the live CD.
(This was installed like this:)
:1gb compact flash drive setup as bootable live image.
:dd'd the image over onto internal drive.
:booted and all worked.

Now, the only issues I am having are how to setup the drive to not use ramdrive (I think it is using) and to always write. I guess things are still set as 'live' so if I download / install something, it's gone on reset. So how do I setup to always just read/write from the disc.

Also, the only other thing I need is adobe flash player. Apt won't install due to dependencies, I know local the debian issues, so can u simply use the tar to make it work.

Thanks.

mperrin
12-08-2007, 09:42 PM
xlancelotx,

Have you run the knoppix-installer script that creates a true hard drive installation? It sounds to me like you are running a live CD image from the hard drive. There may be some confusion as to what constitutes a HD installation because I and others have made posts on this forum regarding running the CD image from other boot media such as compact flash.

Mike

xlancealotx
12-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Sry, just got back, and yes. 1st problem was the partitioning. The Qt kept failing and the 1gb ran out of space on the install.

The drive is an internal 2gb, so is there another command line tweak to cusomize the install? I don't need things like openoffice so a smaller scaled down version of knoppix would be perfect.

Tnx

Harry Kuhman
12-10-2007, 09:13 PM
.......so a smaller scaled down version of knoppix would be perfect.
Great News! There is a smaller scaled down version of Knoppix that would be perfect for you. It doesn't force you to install Open Office, and will let you choose just what applications you want and which you don't. And it is more stable and will have far less problems. This special scaled down version of Knoppix is called "Debian". I suggest doing a Net-Install or a Business-card install of the i386 code version known as "Lenny (http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/)".

xlancealotx
12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
lol, I love sarcasm, so I appreciate that. I will give it a try (again). I did have the scaled down version working to a point, don't remember how far along, but with lightning responses from the knowledgeable staff, watch out ....

New post to follow ... with much more intuitive, well thought out, and even intelligent questions ....

Thanks .... Keep en eye out ....

: lr :