PDA

View Full Version : asking for the chinese version of Knoppix!!!

kerrylkw
12-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Yesterday I finally received the new Hard Drive in order to use my Laptop again. But before installing it, I had to back up all the important data inside, like my dairy and photos in these few years. I was suggested using Knoppix, then I could use an Adaptor to transfer all those Data and files from the old hard drive. After all I can install the new hard drive.

However, maybe I was using the Knoppix in English version, for those files with chinese names or content from any chinese wording, I could not see or find them at all! Like the Japanese songs, I still cuold find the one with English names but not the ones with Japanese or Chinese names. For the most important ones, like my photos and dairy in these few years, they are all not there... I have tried to use a chinese version called "Knoppix bv1al", I could work with my Laptop by using it, but it just can't connect with the old hard drive and see the files... So, I just wonder if there is any other chinese version of Knoppix which can connect with the old hard drive and enables me to get back all my important files.

Since the old hard drive will be collected very soon, I am really anxious and nervous about it. Moreover, I am doing exchange for this whole year, I really need my Laptop to have contact with my family...

Thx for all your sincere reply and help!!!

hx129
12-14-2007, 04:22 AM
I remember under Fedore core 5, if your files are stored on NTFS sector and they have a chinese filename, you can't see them under linux. This is really not a problem of knoppix. Instead, it is a problem of fuse.

I am using Knoppix 5.1.1 now. I can see those files if they are on FAT32 sector, but the chinese characters in the filename are shown as "???".