PDA

View Full Version : H/D problem - Windows XP. Trying to reteive files.

tlyle0
12-12-2007, 04:09 PM
My h/d (sda1) appears to have boot problems in Windows XP sp2. I loaded Knoppix and attempted to mount the disk and am getting the following errors:

NTFS-fs error (device sda1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Primary boot sector is invalid.
NTFS-fs error (device sda1): read_ntfs_boot_sector(): Mount option errors=recover not used. Aborting without trying to recover.
NTFS-fs error (device sda1): ntfs_fill_super(): Not an NTFS volume.

I am attempting to retrieve my data files since the h/d seems to be corrupted. Is there a way to get it working where I might be able to see the file?

ckamin
12-13-2007, 06:24 AM
You might be better served by trying to use the Windows recovery console, a Windows PE disk, or a Bart PE disk. You can try some of the windows tools to try to recover your volume. Linux is possibly quite risky to use for writing to an NTFS partition and could render your files unrecoverable. There is a good amount of information on the net, regarding what tools can be used. I would point you to the Micro$oft site and advise you to try searching there for information regarding the recovery console.

There are several tools that can be used with Linux to try and recover your data. I would start with the Windows tools first, and then look elsewhere if they fail.