PDA

View Full Version : Server openmosixview showing external network IP only

Menotodokukagiri
12-15-2007, 04:32 AM
Hey - does anyone have a quick answer to this one?!

I have two computers connected to a third one through an ethernet switch. The third computer (the server) got two ethernet cards (one of them is sharing internet connection) - openmosixview 1.5 on the server machine shows the WAN IP (201.21...) and only one CPU - the other two computers show each other (192.168...) and two CPU's - What's wrong? Shouldn't the server be showing the other two computers?! Am I sharing a node on the internet?! lol

Both nodes loaded their systems from the server by the way.
Knoppix installed on HD.

Thank you,

Daniel

chip.ling
12-31-2007, 02:39 AM
Hey - does anyone have a quick answer to this one?!

I have two computers connected to a third one through an ethernet switch. The third computer (the server) got two ethernet cards (one of them is sharing internet connection) - openmosixview 1.5 on the server machine shows the WAN IP (201.21...) and only one CPU - the other two computers show each other (192.168...) and two CPU's - What's wrong? Shouldn't the server be showing the other two computers?! Am I sharing a node on the internet?! lol

Both nodes loaded their systems from the server by the way.
Knoppix installed on HD.

Thank you,

Daniel

Daniel,

Never use openmosixview before. But according to your description, your network seems to be normal.

Your server has two network cards, one connected to the internet modem (that is the WAN IP 201.21..). The second network card in the server which connects to the switch should carries the LAN IP 192.168...

The second network card plus the two other machines you linked up with the switch form a local network. So they all have the 192.168... address.

That is a typical setting. The server acts like a kind of bridge between the WAN (your external internet network from your ISP) to your LAN (part of your server and the other two machines so that they can access the internet).

I'm not an expert. But it seems OK to me. You said that you can only see the WAN address on the server via openmosixview. I don't know anything about that. But you should be able to see both network card from the os level.

Open a console terminal on the server and type ifconfig, you should be able to see two network cards information.

Most likely it will be eth0 and eth1.

Rgds,
Chip