PDA

View Full Version : Boot Issue

Cronos55
05-30-2003, 06:28 PM
I want to first say thanks for a great newbie Linux, but after trying it from the CD, I wanted to put it on my HD. Everything installed I thought and would start at reboot no problem, Worng!!!! when it start to load at Reboot, it stopped at "kernel panic-VFS Unable to mount root fs on 03:42 and I could use my keyboard. If anyone knows how to fix this. I would apperciate the help. I am still a newbie to linux

Cronos55
05-31-2003, 05:07 AM
After a full day of setting this up, Finally got it now to get all my preefials out and see if I can get the full use of this OS
Thank you

rickenbacherus
05-31-2003, 02:57 PM
After a full day of setting this up, Finally got it now to get all my preefials out and see if I can get the full use of this OS
Thank you

Perhaps you could provide some details on how you got it set up?

maelifel
06-05-2003, 05:21 PM
I had the same problem recently and actually it was due to the fact that my harddisk filesystem was ntfs and I had not included it in the kernel.
So to resolve the problem you just have to boot from the cdrom,

mount hdax /mnt/hdax (where hdax is your partition containing knoppix)
chroot /mnt/hdax (to go on your system)

and rebuild your kernel properly (in the filsystem options check the right box= ntfs, ext2fs, ext3fs.......)

and that's it!

maelifel
06-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Here is what I've found on ibiblio.org. It might be the solution to this problem??

Some Boards apparently don't pass the proper memory size to the
linux-kernel. It may cause the message "Panic: cannot mount root file
system" and the system hangs. Use "knoppix mem=128M" to solve that
problem if your system has 128MByte memory for example (caution:
you MUST use a capital "M" here).