PDA

View Full Version : My harddrive is broken, how do I make a backup with Knoppix?

John__M
12-19-2007, 06:07 PM
My harddrive is on the way to brake down so I need to make a backup of some data.

I can't start Windows because of a disk error so I'm using Knoppix, runnig directly from a CD. Now I need to backup my files. I have 1 CD burner but the Knoppix CD is in there so I can't use it while running Knoppix, can I pass around this problem somehow?

Right now I'm running Knoppix in Failsafe mode and I can't use my mouse is this normal?

Harry Kuhman
12-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Failsafe avoids most hardware detection, so loss of a mouse can be understood.

Backup, assuming Knoppix can see the files, can be done any number of ways. Just some suggestions include: Across a local network (I suggest using FTP). To a USB flash device. To a USB hard drive with a FAT formatted disk drive. Mount a second hard drive in the computer, format it FAT32, and backup to that. If your computer has enough memory, use the toram option to load Knoppix into memory and free up the CD drive for burning. If you don't have enough ram, use a smaller Live CD distro (such as DSL) and do the same. E-mail the files to your Gmail account. Back up to 1,000 floppy disks.