PDA

View Full Version : HARDWIRE NETWORKING FILE TRANSFER NOOB FORGOT

nick_lemon
12-21-2007, 01:54 AM
I used this awesome program to get files out of a dead windows operating system. I forgot how to mount network drives so I can move files.. Can someone please refresh my memory!!!!! I am using a router with hard wires so it is not the wireless complexity i have ben reading about on here.

nick_lemon
12-21-2007, 02:12 AM
well it looks like this program is 50 times better than when i used it 4 years ago.. it is all installed for me and I do not have to enter commands to get into the network. it was already there!! I love this program even mroe now!!!

Harry Kuhman
12-21-2007, 02:14 AM
Linux will internetwork with Windows, but Windows can sometimes be problematic about it. You might be thinking of Samba or LinNeighborhood. But I find that the simplest solution is often the best - I don't use these when I'm trying to recover files. Instead I start a FTP server on the box that I want to transfer the files to, and I use Konouror as the FTP client to transfer the files. You'll find that FTP transfers the files much faster than Windows networking will (Windows XP seems to deliberately slow down the transfers when it detects that it isn't talking to another Windows system, or even an old Win98 system!)