PDA

View Full Version : Navigating Knoppix without a mouse..

mghaines1982
12-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi all,

I appreciate this is going to be a pretty newb-ish question, have pity on a poor XP using trying to repair his corrupted NTFS filesystem :oops: :lol:

I downloaded and made the Knoppix Boot CD as recommended to try and fix an 'NTFS.sys is missing or corrupt' error message in XP's boot up - I'm in Knoppix's X Windows now, but my wireless mouse hasn't been set up. What I need to know is how to get myself to a shell using keyboard commands while I have no mouse use. If it's not a simple process to get the mouse working I'm not worried, I just need to be able to follow the instructions I've pasted from http://www.retosphere.de/tipsandtricks/ntfserror.php?menu_id=20& below -

1. Boot Knoppix
2. Open Shell
3. Type "su" and press enter. (this makes you root)
4. Type "cfdisk" and press enter.
5. You will see all your partitions on your hard disk. They are e.g. hda1 (probably your C:), hda5 (D:) ... Check those where filesystem is NTFS.
6. Write these down! You should then have a list like: hda1, hda5, hda6
7. Exit cfdisk.
8. Now type: "ntfsfix /dev/hda1" and press enter.
9. Do this and replace hda1 with all occurences on your list.
10. Close Knoppix and reboot.

Any help with key commands to open a shell would be reeeeally appreciated! :)

Thanks,

Mitchell

hal8000
12-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Your easiest option is to buy a cheap wired PS2 mouse.

However when you load the knoppix cd at the boot prompt type:

init 2

this will bypass kde and put you straight into console mode.
HTH

maxIT
12-30-2007, 10:09 AM
What I need to know is how to get myself to a shell using keyboard commands while I have no mouse use.

It's quite a simpe task, as typing 'Shift+BlockNum' at the same time, now you can drive the x cursor with direction keys (1,2,3,6,9,8,7,4) in the numeric_pad.
The center key (number 5) act as the mouse left click, and you can also modify it's behavior throgout the upper right tree keys in the numeric_pad (/, *, - in mine), so in mine after typing "-" the num.5 key act as the mouse right click, after "*" the same as mouse central button and after "/" as left click again.
HTH 8)

Uncle Stinky
12-31-2007, 04:47 PM
What I need to know is how to get myself to a shell using keyboard commands while I have no mouse use.

It's quite a simpe task, as typing 'Shift+BlockNum' at the same time, now you can drive the x cursor with direction keys (1,2,3,6,9,8,7,4) in the numeric_pad.
The center key (number 5) act as the mouse left click, and you can also modify it's behavior throgout the upper right tree keys in the numeric_pad (/, *, - in mine), so in mine after typing "-" the num.5 key act as the mouse right click, after "*" the same as mouse central button and after "/" as left click again.
HTH 8)

holding down the "Shift" key while pressing the "Num-Lock" key activates the "Mouse Keys" software so that one may move the mouse cursor by using the numeric key pad that is located on the far right side of the
English keyboard as described above...

thanks for the tips, y'all

Blessings