PDA

View Full Version : Can't find USB flash drive

terox13
12-23-2007, 02:56 AM
Hi, I'm new to Knoppix and I am in great need to transport a file to my computer. My windows xp won't boot up because of the corruption of hal.dll file. I need to replace the corrupted file with a new one. I figured I could download the file and put it on a memory key but I can't get the file off of the memory key in Knoppix. I've read many posts on this and they all say it's automatically supposed to create a partition for the memory key, but mine doesn't. I know that Knoppix sees the memory key because of a program called USB View. Dell Memory Key is listed under the USB UHCL Root Hub. I'm using knoppix 3.7 and a 128mb dell memory key. Your help to retrieve this file would be much appreciated.

Harry Kuhman
12-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Hi, I'm new to Knoppix and I am in great need to transport a file to my computer...... I'm using knoppix 3.7 and a 128mb dell memory key. Your help to retrieve this file would be much appreciated.
If you're computer has NTFS partitions then you are wasting your time. Knoppix 3.7 can't write to NTFS partitions. Some people think that just maybe 5.1.1 can write to NTFS, but it's still somewhat of a risk, it might work, it might corrupt your disk. Better to safely backup what you need and then reinstall Windows (or some better OS).