PDA

View Full Version : Booting Problem (PC won't recognize that I want to boot 5.1)

garfield
12-26-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi, sorry I'm such a novice at this. I used Bit Torrent to download KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN. I loaded all 8 files onto a CD, made sure it was not in a bootable format, using NERO. I did a checksum of the MD5 on both the downloaded files that I had on the hard drive, and also of the copy burned onto the CD -- 100%, Zero Errors. When I turn on the computer, it keeps going automatically to XP Pro. I tried changing the boot priority in the BIOS so it checked the CD ROM first, but it still ends up booting on XP PRO. I don't see anything different during the boot process. Is there something else I'm missing? Do I need some kind of directory structure on the CD? I just have 8 files on the root directory of the CD. Also, I ask for your patience if you point me to cheat codes, etc. I don't know anything about that stuff, yet. THank you!!

Harry Kuhman
12-26-2007, 07:38 AM
.... I loaded all 8 files onto a CD, made sure it was not in a bootable format, using NERO. ....
Well, checking the MD5 was good. Not usually needed as long as you use BitTorrent, but worth doing anyway. Unfortunately, everything else that you did was pretty much wrong. And, this is interesting, on the same page of this forum, currently just 2 posts below yours, there was someone else who posted with the exact same subject line. He was asked to read my answer #1 (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/User:Harry_Kuhman), which explains how to find the downloading FAQ, which will give you all of the steps that you need. The same advice would have helped you. At this point for you it's both knowing how to burn the ISO file as an image and the importance of burning at low speed. Still, it wouldn't hurt to read the FAQ, just in case I didn't remember to mention something else (it's late here and I'm getting sleepy).

garfield
12-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Thanks Harry. I guess when I read through the FAQs, I didn't realize what they were saying when it said burn and image. Works fine. Now I have another question under the MS Windows & New to Linux area. Any words of wisdom?

Harry Kuhman
12-27-2007, 06:17 PM
Thanks Harry. I guess when I read through the FAQs, I didn't realize what they were saying when it said burn and image. Works fine. Now I have another question under the MS Windows & New to Linux area. Any words of wisdom?

Words of wisdom #1: When telling someone about another different thread that you want help with, provide a link to it, like this (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28343), or even like this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28343 rather than expecting the other person will track it down.

Words of wisdom #2: You're screwed. And you've pretty much done it to yourself. I saw your other post, pretty much just skipped past it since I knew you didn't want a lecture, but since you now directly asked me .....

I have to think that when you choose to encrypt those directories, that you didn't expect that someone with a live Linux CD could or should be able to just boot it on your system and read all of your encrypted data. and you would have been upset if it had ever happened and your private information was stolen, perhaps even targeting that anger improperly at Linux rather than at Microsoft. So now Windows has done what Windows almost always does, and you are thinking that it would be nice if Knoppix could read the secured data? Why encrypt it at all if that were the case?

Microsoft actually gives you documented ways to save the encryption keys that would have helped you in just such an event. But, of course, it was important to have done this while Windows was still working.

The only glimmer of hope that I can offer is that Microsoft has always been amazingly lame when it comes to security. There may very well be ways to extract that key from the registery even now. I don't know that there is, and if I did I wouldn't guide an unknown stranger through doing it (after all, you would be upset if someone had stolen that computer and I helped him get into your encrypted files based on a posting here, right?). But if there is any chance of getting those files, you are more likely to track it down by searching on Google than looking here. Start with Microsoft Windows encrypted folder and go from there. In the process you'll also find how Microsoft suggests that you should have backed up the encryption key and learn a bit about how the system works. I do expect that you're not the first person with this problem and that it has been resolved before, but beyond Google I don't know where to point you for the answer.

By the way, to point out how pointless encrypting the folders was but to also give you some hope of tracking down a solution, while I've never dealt with Microsoft's encrypted directories, I was given a used laptop a few months back only to find that the OS was still there but the user account was passworded and I could not get in. I asked the guy who had given me the laptop, but he got it from his company and didn't have the password either. I wanted to keep the legal licensed copy of the OS rather than give Microsoft more undeserved money or use Linux. It took less time than you have already spent with Knoppix to pull the hash code for the user account out of the registery and have it broken so that I could log in as the user. And I assume that, had this been your computer with encrypted folders, that would have also given me access to the encrypted data. So, thanks to Microsoft's poor security, you wouldn't really have protected your data from someone who stole the computer, or even from someone who had access to it briefly a few times. But you seem to have made it very hard to get the data yourself now. It's likely that Microsoft's poor security will still allow you to get to the keys needed to decrypt the data.