PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix hangs always

archimedes1981
12-27-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't know where the problem is. I am quite new to knoppix but i managed to configure the internet-because i had some problems with that, so i'm starting to get a little grip on it.
My biggest problem now is that knoppix always hangs and i don't even know where to start from to troubleshoot this problem.
I have an AMD 3200+ with 1Gb ram all the devices and controllers seem to be configured correctly. I used a SWAP file configuration and also did a persistent knoppix image on USB pendrive.
These didn't help solving the problem.
My harddisks are not always available to write on and sometimes i also find icons for nonexistent drives!
I'm not very much concerned about the drives for now because at least sometimes they work, but i recon that it's probably that which is making my knoppix hang. Btw on windows xp i don't have any of these clashes -just to be clear that the PC works fine.
I am trying to install firefox now because i couldn't get flash playback on konqueror after installing flash player 9.
If anyone can help me with any of these it would be very much appreciated.
thanks

turbine
12-30-2007, 12:36 AM
As Harry Kuhman always says, check the integrity of the cd or dvd that you're running knoppix from. Maybe you got a bad burn.

Uncle Stinky
01-01-2008, 11:52 AM
If you are using the Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD, type in the following at the Knoppix boot screen "knoppix acpi=off " (without the quotation marks) and see if this will get the Knoppix operating system to work for you.

Mine used to hang, also, until I used that particular command at the boot up screen. Now it loads ok.

US