PDA

View Full Version : Booting problem: monitor shutdown

frango83
12-28-2007, 07:29 AM
hi,

i was booting knoppix dvd live 5.1 version and my display (monitor) shut down, but iam pretty sure that the knoppix start becouse i heard something like "starting" or something like this, (from the headphones)

i think it could be the refresh rate, but i dont know enything abaut linux, so... i dont know what to do :P

my computer is a dual amd, 2gb, the video is a nvidia 7900.
the siplay is old, is a proview (not flat, not lcd, a normal one) 15", vga... the monitor frecuency is in windows (spanish) "60 hercios" i think in english is something like Hz

sorry my poor english,
thanks for reading my post.
good luck, and, happy ending year :P

Harry Kuhman
12-28-2007, 08:07 AM
i was booting knoppix dvd live 5.1 version and my display (monitor) shut down, but iam pretty sure that the knoppix start becouse i heard something like "starting" or something like this, (from the headphones)

i think it could be the refresh rate, but i dont know enything abaut linux, so... i dont know what to do :P

my computer is a dual amd, 2gb, the video is a nvidia 7900.
the siplay is old, is a proview (not flat, not lcd, a normal one) 15", vga... the monitor frecuency is in windows (spanish) "60 hercios" i think in english is something like Hz
Hi,

From what you have written I suspect a scan rate problem also. There is a good chance that Knoppix is trying to drive the display at higher scan rates than it can process, and to protect itself the monitor is shutting down. Of course, it could be something else, but this would be the first thing that I would suspect. Abd it may also be a screen size 9issue (which is closely related to scan rates).

There are parameters that can be passed to Knoppix at boot time, often called cheat codes. There is a cheat codes document that you got automatically if you downloaded by BitTorrent. If you downloaded from a mirror you should be able to go back abd get the cheat codes file, it is very small. Alternately, you could follow the documentation link near the top of this page and read the cheat codes section of the wiki, a collection of documents that any user here can help edit.

To get the right settings for you, the best choice would be to find the documentation that came with your monitor and select setting in range. If you can't find the documentation, try looking for it on the web. Other approaches would be to pick values that are very conservative, or to determine what values Windows uses for the monitor. A few codes to get you started would include the following:

screen=1280x1024
Use specified Screen resolution for X

xvrefresh=60 or vsync=60
Use 60 Hz vertical refresh rate for X

xhrefresh=80 or hsync=80
Use 80 kHz horizontal refresh rate for X
For rexample, you might type in knoppix hsync=50 vsync=60 at the knoppix boot prompt. Read the full document for more information or other codes if these don't resolve your problem.

frango83
12-28-2007, 08:31 AM
thanks for your quik answer.

before i read your post, i try the command vsync=60 and nothing happend.
then i try vga=normal and then i could use knoppix, but then i couldnt change the resolution,

i supose that the vga=normal command or cheat, its like run the os without any video drivers... so its not a good solution...

so, tomorrow i will try using one of your commands.

but if this post gave you any idea please share it with me,

thanks again harry.

Harry Kuhman
12-28-2007, 08:56 AM
...then i try vga=normal and then i could use knoppix, but then i couldnt change the resolution,

i supose that the vga=normal command or cheat, its like run the os without any video drivers... so its not a good solution.......
Sounds like you are getting close. I suspect that you are running some sort of video driver, or you would not have had a GUI at all. I'm not sure exactly what normal does, but it likely is spelled out in the cheat codes documentation. There is also a vesa code that will use some very generic drivers. Overall this isn't as bad as you may think; Knoppix does not support the 3d drivers for high performance video effects (consider installing a hard disk based version of Linux like Debian if you need them), so any driver that gives good video is pretty functional. You should be able to force the resolution and screen rates that you want as long as your monitor will support it though. Good luck, let us know how you make out.

frango83
12-29-2007, 08:21 AM
i try.. knoppix vsync=59 hsync=80 screen=1024x768

but the monitor shutdown...

so far the only thing that work was the vga=normal... and i am not very confortable with that mode in 800x600...

i may try doing knoppix vga=normal screen=1024x768
but i dont have many faith that will work...