PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and dial-up

66phil
12-29-2007, 04:23 AM
I am interest in obtaining Knoppix 5.1.1 I have to buy a cd as I am on dial-up

Before making a purchase I was wanting someone to tell me if Knoppix will work with dial-up system to logon to internet

Tia

Harry Kuhman
12-29-2007, 04:54 AM
If you have a true hardware modem Knoppix should be able to connect by dial-up, but if you have a more typical software based "Win-modem" then it can be problematic. Linux can support some but certainly not all Win-modem chip sets. But also very important, most Knoppix CDs that you are likely to buy are burnt at high speed by someone just trying to make a quick buck off of someone else's work. Such discs very frequently exhibit booting problems. My suggestion would be rather than buy a problem disc, find a friend with a high speed connection and offer to make him a Knoppix CD for the use of the download. Use BitTorrent to download the English version of the ISO, burn two copies correctly (as images) and give one to your friend to introduce him to Linux too.

66phil
12-29-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply

I have a US Robotics serial modem it is considered a hardware modem

As for getting someone to download the distro the problem is that no one in this area has dsl etc
We are on a small telephone company and are very limited

I can purchase a cd from PcTech 101 which I have done in the past for other distro and have not experienced and boot or install problems

Your reassurance that the distro will support dial-up with my modem is all I need to purchase a live cd and try Knoppix

Thanks again