PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix can't recognize USB harddrive

inkexit
12-30-2007, 05:15 PM
I caught a virus a couple of weeks ago and eventually XP would not reboot in any mode. I had a lot of data on my laptop's hardrive I wanted to save, so I booted up with my Knoppix CDROM and tried to dump the data to a Western Digital Portfolio USB hardrive. Eventually, after rebooting a few times, changing read/write permissions, unplugging and replugging the drive, etc., I got Knoppix to recognize the drive and dump to it. Now, after re-installing XP, I can't get the drive to be recognized on Linux or windows.

I keep getting this error message in Knoppix:

"Could not mount device
error:
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."

Is there a way I can change the filesystem type manually, or any other way to get the drive recognized? Somehow I got it recognized before, but I am pretty unfamiliar with Knoppix.

chip.ling
12-31-2007, 04:57 PM
I caught a virus a couple of weeks ago and eventually XP would not reboot in any mode. I had a lot of data on my laptop's hardrive I wanted to save, so I booted up with my Knoppix CDROM and tried to dump the data to a Western Digital Portfolio USB hardrive. Eventually, after rebooting a few times, changing read/write permissions, unplugging and replugging the drive, etc., I got Knoppix to recognize the drive and dump to it. Now, after re-installing XP, I can't get the drive to be recognized on Linux or windows.

I keep getting this error message in Knoppix:

"Could not mount device
error:
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified."

Is there a way I can change the filesystem type manually, or any other way to get the drive recognized? Somehow I got it recognized before, but I am pretty unfamiliar with Knoppix.

I don't think so.

Since you backup your data under knoppix, that means you still can read it back from knoppix.

You may want to go for another approach. Instead of trying to read it directly from Windows XP, try to put data back from knoppix.

1. Boot up the knoppix from cd.

2. Mount your USB drive to knoppix (most likely it will be called /media/sda1)

3. Mount your windows xp hard drive partition to knoppix as read/write

Assume your hard disk is formatted as NTFS, then the mount command will look like the following

$ sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /media/hda1 -o rw,umask=000

4. Once the mount point is ready, copy all your data back to the hard drive

Assume you back up all your files on the usb drive /backup directory

$ cp -r /media/sda1/backup /media/hda1

5. Once you have all the data copy back to the harddrive. Restart Windows xp and do whatever you want to do with your data.

Rgds,
Chip

inkexit
12-31-2007, 07:13 PM
THe problem is that now, for some reason, the USB hardrive won't mount. The internal hardrive mounts every time I boot koppix live. The USB drive will not mount. I have tried to mount it by right clikcing on the icon and selecting "mount" in the knoppix GUI, I assume this does pretty much what the command line code you gave would do. I have tried unlugging it and replugging it in to try to get knoppix to recognize it, but I can't. Is there some knoppix app I can use to mount the drive, or copy from it? or somewhere I can manually change the filesystem type?