PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 HAS MOUSE BUT CANT GET PASS DESKTOP LOADING

beech1
01-02-2008, 04:04 AM
I am trying to use 5.1 on a machine. Using Knoppix vga=0 i get it to load to the desk top icon and then it starts to load icons and then hangs. The mouse works. I have loaded it in failsafe and can use some keyboard cmds, how ever i am tryibg to recover froma n xp crash. I have raid installed and it seems to be picking that up. How can I getit to load poast the desktop.

GIGabyte motherboard Atalon XP 3000, raid two drives 0. It seems to identify all the HW. Help? :(

Don Goings

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2008, 05:22 AM
.... I have raid installed and it seems to be picking that up. ....
Good luck with that. If you do manage to recover any files from a Windows RAID system please let us know what you did; I don't know of anyone else who has ever done it under Knoppix.

beech1
01-02-2008, 04:18 PM
That doesn't sound very good. maybe that is why I can't get it ot boot.

Don

beech1
01-02-2008, 04:19 PM
At any rate, Happy New Year and thank you. If some one knows of a way, please let me know.

Don

Harry Kuhman
01-02-2008, 08:25 PM
That doesn't sound very good. maybe that is why I can't get it ot boot.

Don
Knoppix should boot fine, RAID or not, or even no hard disk at all. But a WIndows RAID system that depends on a special software driver that is usually only available for Windows will have the data scattered across multiple drives and Linux will not know how to recover it. There are good RAID systems for Linux, but AFAIK the geometry of the two systems may not match, and unless it matches exactly then a Linux RAID system can't read a Windows written RAID set. On the other hand, you indicated that you were seeing something promising, so if you do manage to recover files from a Windows RAID system with Knoppix, please let us know and give us all of the details.