PDA

View Full Version : Bootfrom not recognized

OldCanoeist
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
When I try to use the "bootfrom" cheat code listed in "knoppix-cheatcodes.txt in the CD or DVD to boot from an iso image on my hard drive I get a message "could not find kernel image on ..."

This happens with Vers4.0.2 on a Win98SE machine and Vers5.1 on a WinXPhome machine.

In the Win98SE machine, the iso file is on a second HD in folder "My Documents/Knoppix/" and is that used to produce the CD.
At F3 boot: I enter bootfrom=/dev/sdb1/My Documents/Knoppix/K*.iso

In the WinXPhome machine, the iso file is on a third partition of the HD in folder "Knoppix/" and is that used to produce the DVD.
At F3 boot: I enter bootfrom=/dev/sda3/Knoppix/K*.iso

Both versions boot up & work correctly without pressing F3.

Any advice?

Harry Kuhman
01-03-2008, 08:47 PM
...Any advice?
I haven't used this option in ages, so something might have changed, but I think your problem is related to the confusing way that Windows hides the my documents directories, or else to the problems windows has with spaces in names. Try putting the iso file in the root directory (C:\) and I expect that it will boot fine from there.

OldCanoeist
01-05-2008, 01:01 AM
Harvey;

From C:\ it is OK and also from C:\Temp\ and from D:\.

Out of curiousity I will try various changes to the "My Documents" folder name.

Thanks for your response.

Harry Kuhman
01-05-2008, 01:07 AM
Harvey;

From C:\ it is OK and also from C:\Temp\ and from D:\.

Out of curiousity I will try various changes to the "My Documents" folder name.

Thanks for your response.
I think you have 2 different problems:

1. In Win98, look at the 8.3 style name in Win98, or boot the CD and browse the file system to find the acceptable name.

2. XP hides my documents in strange places, not directly under C. Again browse the disk after booting from the disc to find the corrct name.
And don't forget that in Linux case is important, be sure to match the file name exactly as you see it from the CD.

OldCanoeist
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Harry;

WinXPhome cheat code - knoppix bootfrom=/dev/sda3/KNOPPIX/K*.iso
where iso file is in D:/KNOPPIX/ and D:/ is the third partition works OK.

Win98SE cheat code - knoppix bootfrom=/dev/hdb1/MYDOCU~1/KNOPPIX/K*.iso
where iso file is in D:/My Documents/KNOPPIX/ and D:/ is a FAT32 second hard drive
works OK however the second hard drive can't be made writeable since it is in use
by Knoppix.

Thanks again.