PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe to use the Adobe Flash Player with Knoppix 5.1.1?

Uncle Stinky
01-08-2008, 08:19 AM
If Adobe Flash Player Flaws Enable a Smorgasbord of Exploits, is it safe to use with Knoppix 5.1.1 OS installed on our hard drives? To be safe, I'll use the Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD OS while it is running in my CD-ROM drive when I feel the need to see a video. This way, my hard drive files should be safe from any malware exploits. But I have read some bad news about the Adobe Flash Player and this may be why "Iceweasel" doesn't automatically include it in the "Iceweasel" browser that is found on the Knoppix 5.1.1 live CD. What say you?

Thanks!

Blessings

US

turbine
01-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Don't know about safety, but when browsing I always set my browser to not download images and I never use adobe flash player. I do this for speed and safety. I just don't like seeing all of the whiz bang crappola that people put in their web pages. Whenever I want to see something I'll temporarily enable images.

Uncle Stinky
01-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Don't know about safety, but when browsing I always set my browser to not download images and I never use adobe flash player. I do this for speed and safety. I just don't like seeing all of the whiz bang crappola that people put in their web pages. Whenever I want to see something I'll temporarily enable images.

I really like your settings suggestion! I must learn how to set my browser so that it will not download images (for the exact same reasons that you have mentioned here in your letter).

Thank you very much, Turbine, for your reply on this subject of downloading images! I don't know how to turn off the downloading of images capability in my browser but I'll do my best to discover it as soon as possible today.

Blessings

US

Uncle Stinky
01-11-2008, 10:51 AM
I think that I have found the setting on the browser. I went to the "Edit" menu, then, "Preferences", then, "Content", then, "unchecked the box that is located next to the line that reads, 'Load images automatically' ".

I don't see any pictures when I use the browser now. Thanks, again, for this tip!

US

kirol
01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
There is also the "flashblock (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/)" extension for mozilla that works well.

Uncle Stinky
02-03-2008, 09:52 AM
Thank you, "kirol", very much for your reply. Your statements have helped me with this.

Blessings

US

There is also the "flashblock (http://flashblock.mozdev.org/)" extension for mozilla that works well.