PDA

View Full Version : Will this chroot idea work?

spreadthecream
01-05-2003, 01:37 PM
In all the howto's i've read they all make you chroot in a root shell and then do all the configuring commands etc. in that terminal. well i had an idea but being a newbie i'm not sure if it'll work.

1) follow all the instructions in the howto (creating directories, copying knoppix to them, extracting stuff from img etc.)

2) reboot pc, leave knoppix in drive

3) at boot prompt type "knoppix 2" to boot into a text-only mode

4) chroot, as you would in a root shell

5) run startx, then shouldn't kde or whatever be chrooted too?

that way i could run the configuration center and change all i want with the simple graphical tools made for the system?

i'm not sure if it would work properly (or if the above makes sense to anyone! :lol: )

eadz
01-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Hi there,
This has been mentioned but I couldn't find a link.
This should work, however, you may need to copy the X config first, so the chroot X will work ( delete them after maybe too ?)

In thery yes, so give it a go and let us know!

spreadthecream
01-05-2003, 03:07 PM
Cheers, i'll try that as soon as i get home (im at my dads and he doesn't want me editing his partition table, he doesn't like linux!)

The only thing is, where's the x config file? and where do i copy it to?
Sorry about asking such dumb questions, i'm new to linux.

eadz
01-05-2003, 03:14 PM
Cheers, i'll try that as soon as i get home (im at my dads and he doesn't want me editing his partition table, he doesn't like linux!)

The only thing is, where's the x config file? and where do i copy it to?
Sorry about asking such dumb questions, i'm new to linux.

in /etc/X/

look for files just modified when you booted the cd. .. and copy those. Someone has done this before for sure and can hopefully shed more light..

dvessey
01-08-2003, 02:39 AM
I tried this and it worked out perfectly :)

before chroot'ing, do "cp /etc/X11/XF86Config* /some/where/to/knxsource/KNOPPIX/etc/X11"