PDA

View Full Version : Tablet PCs

Wakko
05-30-2003, 08:29 PM
Hi all, I'm new here. Been playing with Knoppix now for about 2 months. Really enjoying the hell of out it.

Right now I'm trying to see if I can't get a Tablet PC I'm playing with to boot off of the Knoppix CDrom image from 20 May 2003.

Right now, it recognizes the CD on boot, goes to the knoppix bootprom. However, after that when it starts to load it can't find the volume on which Knoppix is (the CDrom).

The CDrom is an external plug in (Has to be, tablets are too small). It does see it long enough to allow initilization. The attached keyboard does function at the bootprom, but losses functionality when it starts the actual load processing.

let me know what you need from me to figure out whats not talking.

Wakko
06-03-2003, 03:16 PM
Wow, this is the most unresponsive web forum I've been to yet. Maybe I got off on the wrong foot, but I was asking for help not demanding.

Not even one person asking what hardware to check compatibility to see why the hardware is getting dropped passed the bootprom. I was more than willing to do all the footwork and play with this to figure out why the devices stopped talking.

Let me recommend the rest of you - http://www.pcqanda.com.

garyng
06-03-2003, 04:25 PM
The hardware you used is way too new for linux in general. linux shines on old hardware, desktop, has quite some problem in notebooks and tablet PC ?

If you don't mind to pay the premium of tablet PC, you should use XP which is still miles better in handling state of the art hardware.

aay
06-03-2003, 05:10 PM
It's not that this forum is unresponsive. Quite to the contrary I think. I think people have been unresponsive to your post simply because there aren't that many folks using the same setup you have. What cheat codes have you used? Have you tried using: knoppix failsafe? If so, what was the response?

Tortoise
06-04-2003, 01:42 AM
I have to agree - it's a responsive forum, but if people have never seen the hardware you're using then they are probably not going to have much to say. It's an interesting problem, but you are probably one of the first people playing with this particular hw/sw settup right now.

Dave_Bechtel
06-04-2003, 12:07 PM
--What kind of connection is the cdrom drive using, USB? If so, then the problem is that even tho the BIOS supports the cdrom, knoppix doesn't know how to access it with the standard scsi-emulation stuff when it starts up.

--If you have 700MB free space on the HD, copy x:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\knoppix and boot with the knoppix cd. You shouldn't have to use a boot floppy since the CD won't be detected; knoppix will find itself on the HD.

--I warn you though, with tablet PC you're in uncharted territory. You'll probably have to play with the cheat codes to get it booting properly, and you probably won't be able to access some of the built-in hardware.

BTW, how are Yakko and Dot? ;-)

Hi all, I'm new here. Been playing with Knoppix now for about 2 months. Really enjoying the hell of out it.

Right now I'm trying to see if I can't get a Tablet PC I'm playing with to boot off of the Knoppix CDrom image from 20 May 2003.

Right now, it recognizes the CD on boot, goes to the knoppix bootprom. However, after that when it starts to load it can't find the volume on which Knoppix is (the CDrom).

The CDrom is an external plug in (Has to be, tablets are too small). It does see it long enough to allow initilization. The attached keyboard does function at the bootprom, but losses functionality when it starts the actual load processing.

let me know what you need from me to figure out whats not talking.

Tortoise
06-09-2003, 05:25 AM
You might want to check this out:
http://prometheus.physics.ucsb.edu/~dean/TmC100/AcerTmC100.html
It was in a /. article today, the follow up might be useful too.
Good luck

Denver Dave
03-01-2013, 11:16 PM
I too have been watching for a tablet that runs knoppix (or is it the other way around?) I've seen articles about ubuntu and tablets for maybe help is on the way: http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/tablet Wonder if we will ever have a generic "white box tablet" that isn't as proprietary?

utu
03-02-2013, 01:36 AM
Check the date of post #7, Dave.
I'm intrigued at this prospect as well.

Capricorny
03-04-2013, 10:10 AM
If you want to experiment with this today, the Google Nexus 7 is relatively hacker-friendly, and inexpensive. Hopefully, this year the first Tizen devices will be launched, and they should be closer to the "white box" we want. Also devices running Firefox "OS" could turn out to be easier to modify. I have no idea whether Intel-based tablets could be made to run PC-based systems like Knoppix unmodified, all adaptations I have looked into, have been based on Debian compiled for ARM. Tried running Debian under/with Android on a rooted, but otherwise unmodified Nexus 7, but I consider that verison mostly as proof of concept: Had to use vncviewer on the tablet for graphics display, for example.

But, as I have written elsewhere here, I think Knoppix on tablets would be a very efficient way of running Linux on them. And most of the needed programs are already up and running there, thanks to the Debian port to ARM.

utu
03-04-2013, 04:28 PM
FYI
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13970_7-57571755-78/ubuntu-touch-firefox-os-and-tizen-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-new-oses/
I'm looking for a device on which to run Knoppix Touch.