PDA

View Full Version : konsole backward predictive typing

mduduzi
01-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I suggest that konsole modified to be backward predictive when typing commands in. What this means is that you can simply type maybe the first 2 letters of a previous command typed in the same session and simple press the <tab> reveiling all possibilities. Example:

>> mount -w /dev/hdd1 /mnt/gamedrive

after multiple commands being entered then simply type the following:
>> mou <tab> and console would load the command above!

This function is the core of simplicity for those who have programmed in MATLAB, it realy makes things easy

Mduduzi

turbine
01-10-2008, 03:13 PM
But you already have that, it's standard Linux/Unix. Assuming the bash shell, in your example, insteat of "mou tab" try typing "!mou". (without the double quotes, of course)

maxIT
01-12-2008, 08:03 AM
I suggest that konsole modified to be backward predictive when typing commands in. What this means is that you can simply type maybe the first 2 letters of a previous command typed in the same session and simple press the <tab> reveiling all possibilities. Example:

>> mount -w /dev/hdd1 /mnt/gamedrive

after multiple commands being entered then simply type the following:
>> mou <tab> and console would load the command above!

This function is the core of simplicity for those who have programmed in MATLAB, it realy makes things easy

Mduduzi

I'm doing something similar by adding the following two lines to the '/etc/profile' file:
bind '"\e[A"':history-search-backward
bind '"\e[B"':history-search-forward
Now after typing some charts you can scroll up ad down the history with up and down arrows keys.

mduduzi
01-15-2008, 07:19 AM
I haven't tried the script you have provided above but i tried the usage of "!" before the command i want to run. But this only runs the previous command which is not what i want. It would be great if this "!" gave you a list of the previous commands which it displays them in a list which i can chose by means of numerical numbers

I will try the script provided above and report feedback

turbine
01-29-2008, 07:46 PM
if you type the command

fc -l

bash will list the previous 16 commands with a number in front of each one

Then if you want to run the command numbered 11, say, then just enter

!11

If you want a list of the previous 20 commands instead of just 16 then type

fc -l -20

gmatht
05-17-2008, 01:00 PM
The auto completion that is enabled when you press Cntl-R might be close to what you want.