PDA

View Full Version : incomplete install from external dvd 5.1.1

kapper
01-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Running on an Dell Inspiron 8100 with a dvd connected over usb (no bios support for booting an over the usb) I was able to achieve a partial boot by means of transfering the linux file and the minirt.gz file from the isolinux directory of the dvd to an existing grub.conf file and then guess at the content and format of the paragraph content to initiated the boot from hard drive. The aspect of the boot process that did not complete were :
1) the browser wiith presentation of the introduction to knoppix did not present of the desk top
2) the wall paper did not present
3) most of the desktop icons did not present. I expected to see icons for recogized partitions and an icon for the home directory. There may others that I missed.
Aside from that I seem to have a fully functional system, as far as I can determine, I would like to change my install so that it would reflect the standard distribution. Thank you for any assistance.

Harry Kuhman
01-11-2008, 07:24 PM
... I would like to change my install so that it would reflect the standard distribution. ....
You keep using the word install. Are you trying to install Linux to your hard disk, or just put a file there to get past your USB boot problems? If trying to really install Linux to hard disk, I suggest using a distro intended for that, Knoppix really isn't suitable. If just trying to force a boot from a USB disc, we do have some knowledgeable people here who may be able to help, but I would avoid using the term install if you mean boot.

kapper
01-16-2008, 02:45 PM
The subject title for this thread should be : incomplete boot ...
Does someone have experience with extlinux to boot the files KNOPPIX.iso and KNOPPIX2.iso
With regard to suitability, the previous entry may very well be correct still this is a learning experience for me. My intent is to continue to examine the hard drive boot of iso files.

kapper
01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
I have come closer to my objective by means of including the cheatcode for tohd=/dev/xyz and fromhd=/dev/xyz in the /boot/grub/grub.conf file
I hope to find a means of boot the compressed files such that the process will not require any reference to an external drive.

If anyone judges that this objective is unreasonalble or unwise, I would like to know the reasoning for that judgement. thanks to all regardless.