PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix and Dos Bootable Pen Drives?

mianosm
01-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey guys, I have a desire to create a multi-bootable pendrive using Knoppix.

I have attempted to follow the tutorials and guides that have worked for a singular bootable usb drive and they have worked.

I then attempted to use the how to on this site:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Multiple-Partition-USB-Stick-Multi-Boot-OS-t69211.html

However it doesn't go too in depth on the actual OS installs themselves.

I can successfully get Grub4Dos to display a menu.lst to include DOS, Knoppix, and Unhide All.

I can also get DOS to successfully boot. However when ever I try to get the Knoppix install to boot I get a non-system disk error.

I have the USB stick partitioned 3 times, one with 200 MB (for DOS), one with 3gb (for Knoppix), and a third one with 4.7gb that is unused at the moment.

Using the live CD I've attempted the install found at:

www.pendrivelinux.com/2007/01/01/usb-knoppix-510/

As well as a Batch script that has worked on a singularly partitioned USB stick that was formated using HP's tool.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - and if I'm unclear or leaving anything crucial out let me know, I'd really like to get this Thumb Drive up and running the way I'd like it as it would be vastly useful for me to be able to boot into either DOS (for ghosting), or Knoppix (for file recovery via Samba). : )

Thanks again! = )

mianosm
01-17-2008, 03:42 PM
32 views, and not a single experienced user on this subject?

WallyWallWhackr
01-20-2008, 03:45 AM
32 views, and not a single experienced user on this subject?

I copied the entire knoppix 5.1.1 DVD to my 8GB pen drive and have a second ext3 partition on it where I have a Mame emulator directory
and it works fine on every computer I have booted it on so far. :D

IIRC, I used a how-to from this forum on making the USB Knoppix install.

mianosm
01-22-2008, 01:25 PM
Making a bootable knoppix USB is not a problem, I have been able to do that several times without fail.

Making a bootable win98 DOS USB is not a problem either, I have done this also several times without fail.

What I can not do is make an 8gb USB both DOS-bootable, and Knoppix-bootable, but thanks for at least replying. ; )

ronkin
01-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Go to www.ultimatebootcd.com and download that cd. It provides you with all kinds of choices to do what you want. The website also provides a lot of information on booting different operating systems from a single device. One main consideration is that moving a usb drive from one computer to another means that the root directory can change depending on what drives the booting computer has so whatever operating systems you use have to be set up to accept any root device. Knoppix handles that just fine.