PDA

View Full Version : unable to find knoppix filesystem

modemman11
01-17-2008, 09:43 AM
so i downloaded knoppix 5.1, verified the md5, and burned the iso to a cd (used nero trial so i could have it verify the burn afterwards). i reboot the computer, get the "welcome to knoppix" message, then after that it says it can't find knoppix file system.

i've been scouring the internet to find answers, but can't find any that i have not yet tried.

i've tried burning at a lower speed. apparently 4x is both as fast and as slow as my drive can go.
i've tried knoppix nodma at the boot screen.
i've tried burning to several different cds.
i've tried several different burning programs.

so unless anyone has any other ideas, i'm stumped.

Harry Kuhman
01-17-2008, 10:08 AM
Pretty strange, considering that you seem to have done the right things. I'll assume that the Nero verification confirmed a good burn, which would also confirm that you used a 700 meg CD and not a 650 meg cd. I really don't know what the problem is. It might help to know a bit about your hardware, particularly the type of disc drive you are booting off of (It's not a USB CD, is it?). The only other thing that I can suggest is boot the CD again and at the prompt type memtest to run memtest86. I really doubt that is going to find the problem, but it would be foolish to not be sure at this point.

modemman11
01-17-2008, 10:53 AM
Pretty strange, considering that you seem to have done the right things. I'll assume that the Nero verification confirmed a good burn, which would also confirm that you used a 700 meg CD and not a 650 meg cd. I really don't know what the problem is. It might help to know a bit about your hardware, particularly the type of disc drive you are booting off of (It's not a USB CD, is it?). The only other thing that I can suggest is boot the CD again and at the prompt type memtest to run memtest86. I really doubt that is going to find the problem, but it would be foolish to not be sure at this point.

Yes, nero verified a good burn. I was going to do a testcd afterwards anyway just to be sure, but i can't even do that because of the problem. (I didn't even know there were 650 MB CDs lol [my CDs do say 700 MB on the CD's label])

anyway, it's a relatively new computer. only a month old, got it from dell.

memtest, well, i let it run for 15 minutes. that's how long it took for that top "PASS %" (not the one under it that said "TEST #X %") meter to get to 100%, then it started over and I just rebooted because it looked like it was just doing the same thing over again. there was a 1 under the pass column, and a zero under the error column. if it didn't do some test, just say so and i'll let it run for a while again.

no, the cd drive isn't USB, unless it's internally a USB (doubt it). Device Manager in Vista says "HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H73N ATA Device". That probably doesn't help.
Anyway, it's also got a generic Integrated Intel GPU, an Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2 GHz, and 1 GB of RAM. Dual Booted with Vista and XP.

I'm trying to stay away from using the hard drive at all. Ideally, I want to be able to not even load the drivers for the hard drives under knoppix, because Vista has already crashed on me twice and the hard drive causes MASSIVE slowdown when it does, until I do a system restore to a previous date. (The hard drive just goes on a churning spree and churns like crazy even when it doesn't make sense, like in the BIOS screen, or when booted to a CD)

anyway, any other suggestions?

Badwolf
01-17-2008, 04:54 PM
I am having this same error (filesystem not found) message on two computers, any info would be helpful

TNX

hal8000
01-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Before you see Welcome to knoppix, there is an isolinux boot prompt
If you dont press any keys, knoppix boots within 30 secs, type

knoppix failsafe

at the prompt and press enter, this disables most of the hardware detection.

The knoppix CD is a compressed image, its around 2000M od data compressed
to fit on a 650M CD, using the El Torrito standard.
Its as iff the disk cannot be read, have a look in your BIOS and see if there are
any special boot requirements or configurations for the cdrom in your system,
there isn't on my system but its 4 years old.

Hope that helps,

hedgehog
01-26-2008, 08:03 AM
I have the same issue with a brand new Dell. My cd is not bad - it works perfectly on my other computer, but I get the same error message after it scans "for USB/firewire devices" and allows "slow USB-devices some more time to register". When I ran the debug it said it was "starting Intermediate shell stage 1 as requested by "debug", then it immediately gave the error message.
I wonder where the program is looking for the filesystem and whether it could have anything to do with the cd drive being SATA and not IDE? (None of the cheatcodes I found here, or in the wiki, or googling, etc. worked for me)

modemman11
01-27-2008, 12:58 AM
Before you see Welcome to knoppix, there is an isolinux boot prompt
If you dont press any keys, knoppix boots within 30 secs, type

knoppix failsafe

at the prompt and press enter, this disables most of the hardware detection.

The knoppix CD is a compressed image, its around 2000M od data compressed
to fit on a 650M CD, using the El Torrito standard.
Its as iff the disk cannot be read, have a look in your BIOS and see if there are
any special boot requirements or configurations for the cdrom in your system,
there isn't on my system but its 4 years old.

Hope that helps,

actually the boot prompt IS the "welcome to knoppix" screen.

but if i do failsafe, my keyboard doesn't work since it's USB, so i can't really get anywhere.

i did update my BIOS just now trying to fix the problem with the computer through Dell, although i haven't tested it yet. (edit: it didn't work)

lkubler
02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Knoppix, saw it demonstrated once and thought I'd give it a try. I downloaded version KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso, burned it to a CD-R and gave it a try on an older computer. No luck, got this same error, "Can't Find Knoppix File System".

Long story short I've tried three different CD's, two of which are CD-RW, and 4 different computers. Three of the computers are here at work and are all HP's and the 4th is at home, a home built system.

The three computers here are:
HP Vectra VL400-MT, PIII with 512MB RAM, CD-ROM Drive
HP DC7100, P4 HT with 1GB RAM, DVD-ROM drive
HP DC5100, P4 HT with 1GB RAM, DVD RW drive.

At home I have a system built on a ASUS motherboard and a Sony DVD RW drive.

My CD boots just fine at home, actually played some games and surfed the net last night, pretty cool. None of the computers here work, they all give that error. What gives? How can I get this to work on my HP systems?

What started this was a boot issue with the Vectra system, I'm trying to recover files from the hard drive before I have to rebuild it.

Thanks in advance,
Linn