PDA

View Full Version : Two penguins?

tearinghairout
01-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Hi all

I am booting a knoppix cd on my latest computer, and for some reason it is showing two penguins at the top of the screen where all the bootup information goes.

It's all booting up just fine and dandy so there is no problem as such, but I am just curious as to why there are two penguins (I have been booting knoppix for years, so am well familiar with the knoppix boot sequence).

The only thing that I can think of that is different is that this computer is dual core. Can it be that you get a penguin for each core?? (If that is the case, how can I justify buying a quad core (or even dual quad-core) machine just to see 4 or 8 penguins) [This last bit is not really a question, just me dreaming out loud]

Regards
THO

OErjan
01-17-2008, 05:32 PM
one penguin for each "cpu" so for you that is two:-)
have Fun OErjan

Harry Kuhman
01-17-2008, 06:05 PM
The only thing that I can think of that is different is that this computer is dual core. Can it be...
Yes, it can be.

hal8000
01-18-2008, 10:22 AM
If you have a Pentium 4 with hyper threading enabled in the BIOS (as in my case) you also get two penguins. Hyper-threading isnt quite as powerful e as having a dual core CPU but I can live with it.

boehmb
01-28-2008, 03:20 AM
My dual-core machine boots with 2 penguins, also...