PDA

View Full Version : making an image of you HDD

JeauxBleaux
05-30-2003, 09:59 PM
I use drive image on windows to make a compressed image of a Hard drive and then store it on my server.
How would I go about doing something like this with Knoppix?

I have some basic knowldge of linux. But I was just wondering if there was a better way than using gzip.

oscar
05-30-2003, 10:08 PM
partimage. It is in knoppix, but.... it is to buggy for me...it is unusable in my own experience.

I think norton ghost is the best one (runs under DOS).

Loper
05-31-2003, 06:20 AM
Partimage. It is in knoppix, but it is too buggy for me... it is unusable in my own experience.

What kind of bug(s)? It worked fine for me -- and it can be used over a network.

monkeyman
05-31-2003, 02:43 PM
I would check with your hard disk mnufacturer first. Most have a freeware boot disk on their website or bundled with a retail package that will do that function perfectly.

oscar
05-31-2003, 06:09 PM
Partimage. It is in knoppix, but it is too buggy for me... it is unusable in my own experience.

What kind of bug(s)? It worked fine for me -- and it can be used over a network.

Frequently hangs during image creation and what is worth it is unable to restore images. Sometimes partimage thinks that it is no place to restore image (for ex. "Image restore needs 20000100 and partition is only 20000000"). If partition is large enough, during restoration it always stops with an error message, I dont remember but message includes the words "magic label not found" or similar phrase.
Sometimes the image creation is very slow. 2 hours for 2gb (normally it takes only 20 minutes or less).
I was not able to make a succesfull image and restoration.