PDA

View Full Version : anonymous ftp

A. Jorge Garcia
01-18-2008, 02:14 AM
Hi, I need to setup an anonymous ftp server. I found in the Knoppix dox the following procedure to enable ftp:

rm /etc/hosts.allow
rm /etc/hosts.deny
/etc/init.d/inetd restart

passwd knoppix

In Knoppix 5.1.1 the command is /usr/sbin/inetd restart, not /etc/init.d/inetd restart

However, this would not set up anonymous ftp, right? To use it you would have to login as knopix with a passwd. I don't want my users to be able to modify whats on my ftp server though.

So, how do I set up anonymous ftp?

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-20-2008, 03:46 AM
OK, how about this: I have an sftp server setup so my students can login with konqueror from anywhere in the school or from home using fish:// to save their work. Is there some way for sftp to allow anonymous logins?

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-23-2008, 12:43 AM
OK, just to clarify my first post above:

This wouldn't set up anonymous ftp, right? To use it you'd have to login as knoppix with a passwd. So, my ftp users would be able to modify whats stored on the site!

What I would like to do is login myself for uploading new files or to delete old ones (notes and resources for my students). Also, I'd like my users (students) to be able to login as anonymous without a passwd to download content I've uploaded.

How do I acheive this? Can I make sftp behave like this?

TIA,
AJG

A. Jorge Garcia
01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm using QUANTIAN in my classroom right now which is KNOPPIX 4.0 plus OPENMOSIX and some cluster apps. All my PCs are hdd installed with QUANTIAN. Included in this distro is /usr/sbin/proftpd. Can I use this to set up anonymous ftp? If so, how?

TIA,
AJG