PDA

View Full Version : unable to boot from CD under Windows 2000Server

screeny30
01-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Hi!
I'm new here and I'm also new to Linux/Knoppix, so forgive for any mistake :oops: :oops:

for work I should compare different Linux distributions
now, for the first try I wanted to start Knoppix 5.1.1 from CD on a PC with Windows 2000 Server.
unfortunately my PC is not able to boot from this CD :(

in BIOS I change the order of the boot devices. => the first one is "CD-ROM"
but it does not read the CD

then I tried other CDs like Win98, Ubuntu and they were "readable" ;)

Does anyone know whats going on???

please help :roll:

Harry Kuhman
01-29-2008, 05:36 PM
...but it does not read the CD

then I tried other CDs like Win98, Ubuntu and they were "readable" ;)...
It sounds like your CD is bad. And please don't post back that it must be good because it boots on a different machine, that does not prove anything when there is a suspected marginal burn. Did you burn this CD at low speed, as recommended? Did you confirm the md5 checksum of the ISO? Did you use a 700 meg CD and not a 650 meg blank? Do you know how to burn an ISO file as an image?

screeny30
01-30-2008, 07:12 AM
hi

first thanks for the answer ;)

but, I don't tell you that the CD must be good ;) because that was something I was thinking about, too ;)

but the other things, like "burning at low speed / confirming the md5 checksum" I didn't know because nobody told me :oops: :oops:

I downloaded the image from a german site and the "Install FAQ" was something like

- download image
- mount the image
- burn it on CD
- start your computer / booting from CD
nothing else ;)

But yes I burned it on a 700 meg CD and I know how to burn an ISO file as an image ;)

so thank you for your answer an I will try the thing you told me

Harry Kuhman
01-30-2008, 07:22 AM
but the other things, like "burning at low speed / confirming the md5 checksum" I didn't know because nobody told me :oops: :oops:
Actually, if you follow the documentation link (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Main_Page) near the top of this page it will take you to the wiki. From there if you read the Downloading FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ) it will cover all of that and more. So we tried to tell you, and I did tell you the very first time that you posted. I guess that we could have come to your house and sat down and talked with you about this before you ever posted, but quite frankly some people get upset when we do this.

screeny30
01-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Well

I found this site after I had problems....
because, as I said, I followed the FAQ on this german site... and it sounded very easy, so I had no reason to look for other FAQs

but coming to my home could be a bit difficult... I live in Germany, but if you want to visit me, I would be honored ^^

so I will try it again and it should work ;)

screeny30
01-30-2008, 10:45 AM
so

I did like the FAQ told me...
I downloaded everything again, but the MD5 Checksums do not match:

winMd5Sum[/b]]MD5 Check Sums are different

then I downloaded it from another Mirror... the same thing

what am I doing wrong???

before I waste another CD I want to do everything right ;) ;)

greetz

Harry Kuhman
01-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I did like the FAQ told me...
I downloaded everything again, but the MD5 Checksums do not match:

winMd5Sum[/b]]MD5 Check Sums are different

then I downloaded it from another Mirror... the same thing
Well, for one thing, you are using a mirror. I had only about 50% success rate in getting a good download using mirrors before the Knoppix torrents became available. (If your experience matchs mine the ISO file is slightly larger than it should be as well. If this is the case I can give you more technical details about what is going wrong, but the bottom line is that the download is bad.) The FAQ suggests that using Bittorrent is the best approach. Because of extra error checking done by Bittorrent, it is much more reliable than a mirror download. As long as you take a minute to properly configure your system to let Bittorrent share the torrent while it is downloading, it is much faster than any mirror that I have found as well.

Of course, if that md5 checksum is bad then the CD should not work on any system. This seems to conflict with the "I know the CD is good because it booted on another machine" discussion that we had previously. You are using the same version of the md5 (EN or DE and CD or DVD) as the ISO itself, are you not?

screeny30
01-31-2008, 07:39 AM
[...] You are using the same version of the md5 (EN or DE and CD or DVD) as the ISO itself, are you not?

of course I'm using the same ;)

well, than I try to download it from Bittorrent ;) ;)
when I'm done, I'll tell you ;)

greetz