PDA

View Full Version : When I edit menu.lst file, should I also edit menu.lst~ ?

Uncle Stinky
01-29-2008, 05:53 PM
When I edit the "menu.lst" file, is it necessary (or advisable) to edit the "menu.lst~" file identically with the same changes that I edited the "menu.lst" file with? For example, I like to add "dma" (without the quotation marks) to the "menu.lst" file so that the file system check goes much faster. Is it necessary (or advisable) to add this "dma" command to the "menu.lst~" file also after I edit the "menu.lst" file with this "dma" command initially?

Thank you very much for your help with this question.

US

Uncle Stinky
01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
When I edit the "menu.lst" file, is it necessary (or advisable) to edit the "menu.lst~" file identically with the same changes that I edited the "menu.lst" file with? For example, I like to add "dma" (without the quotation marks) to the "menu.lst" file so that the file system check goes much faster. Is it necessary (or advisable) to add this "dma" command to the "menu.lst~" file after I edit the menu.lst file with this "dma" command initially?

Thank you very much for your help with this question.
p.s. I did not intend to post this message two times but when I edited my first message above, the knoppix.net's software (or my computer's software) posted my message twice in this forum.

US

maxIT
02-01-2008, 07:51 AM
You are, most likely, editing the file 'menu.lst' vith the 'VI' editor, or you have done that in the past.
The '*~' files are the old.version created by this editor by default and you can safetely delete it.

Uncle Stinky
02-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Thank you, "maxIT", for your reply. Your statements have helped me.

Blessings

US

You are, most likely, editing the file 'menu.lst' vith the 'VI' editor, or you have done that in the past.
The '*~' files are the old.version created by this editor by default and you can safetely delete it.