PDA

View Full Version : checking hd for problems

badbob463
02-05-2008, 01:39 AM
I have a disk that may have some corruption. and i would like to check the file structure and system. How do you test hard disk for problems?

hal8000
02-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Please state the follwoing:
file system (is it NTFS, FAT32, other?)
is the drive SCSI, SATA or IDE?
is the drive master or slave and on what IDE connector?
The partition are you talking about

badbob463
02-05-2008, 11:05 PM
The drive is IDE and was in a NAS device which formatted it in a Linux file system. I have it installed on my system on the primary IDE connector. When I boot into Knoppix it show up as /dev/hdb1 and the mount point is /media/hdb1 and there is only one partition on it.

hal8000
02-07-2008, 11:20 AM
The drive is IDE and was in a NAS device which formatted it in a Linux file system. I have it installed on my system on the primary IDE connector. When I boot into Knoppix it show up as /dev/hdb1 and the mount point is /media/hdb1 and there is only one partition on it.

Thats a good post, contains all the information necessary to answer your question now.
To check your hard drive which is formatted with a linux filesystem this will probably be either ext2, ext3 or reiser run one of the following commands:
Open a terminal and type

fsck.ext2 /dev/hdb1
fsck.ext3 /dev/hdb1
reiserfsck /dev/hdb1

N.B. These are not the only file systems in linux, you must know what file system you formatted it with, checking a file system with the wrong fsck
will either totally corrupt your filesystem and remove your chances of repairing or extracting any data.
HTH

badbob463
02-07-2008, 04:02 PM
I will try that later today. I appreciate your help hal.

keeger
02-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I have a related question: Know of any way to chkdsk or defrag a NTFS partition?

I'm considering trying to do wine + chkdsk or wine+dirms, but I find it hard to believe an emulator will work with low level tools...

hal8000
02-09-2008, 05:14 PM
I have a related question: Know of any way to chkdsk or defrag a NTFS partition?

I'm considering trying to do wine + chkdsk or wine+dirms, but I find it hard to believe an emulator will work with low level tools...

Install ntfsprogs

http://www.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=ntfsprogs

You can use

ntfsck /dev/hda1 (etc)

ntfsdefrag is available as well.

I have not used these tools, but sucessfully recovered data with ntfsundelete

HTH

keeger
02-11-2008, 05:27 PM
i looked at the page, and it says both of those programs are not out yet :(

but it's good to see they are on the way!