PDA

View Full Version : HDD install is nothing like CD!!!!!

spreadthecream
01-05-2003, 03:43 PM
Can someone please explain to me how a "KNOPPIX INSTALL" is actually nothing like knoppix, it just goes back to debian.

I want to install knoppix to my hdd and have it just the same as it was on the cd, with the mount shortcuts on the desktop and the menu the same and the panel the same etc.

Why when you install to hdd does it completely change?

mutante
01-06-2003, 01:39 PM
I`d like to know the same thing.
On my Toshiba Sattelite 1110 all Debian CD`s/kernel versions i tried crash when booting.
The only thing that works just all fine is the Knoppix CD in "expert mode".
The "copy to hd" script,copies succesfully but obviously doesnt use the same kernel/kernel options like the CD version,since it crashes again.
When i try to find the option it really uses in expert mode in lilo.conf i cant find anything.Seems strange since there is the boot option in lilo menu. So where is the mysterious,wonderful kernel that recognizes all hardware for everybody..and why can it only run from CD??
thanks in advance,it seems my only chance to get Debian on my notebook..

peterla
01-06-2003, 11:07 PM
I think the above two posts sum up what many people feel. Knoppix, running off the CD is just what most users want; it recognises all my bits and pieces and they all work. As a windows user and non-geek I want an out-of-the-box solution which does not need hours of command line stuff to make anything work.
I know lots of linux bods will see this as a blasphamy, for them the whole point is hours of command line stuff; therein lies all the fun and sense of achievement.
However perhaps the answer is that Knoppix simply isn't designed to be an out-of-the-box solution that we are all seemingly looking for. It does what it was designed for and does so very well.
Ah well, lifes a bummer..........!!

SUOrangeman
01-09-2003, 09:19 PM
You can just copy the KNOPPIX file from the CD onto your hard drive and use a boot floppy to access it.

Just call me when we get to the point where we can save items back to that KNOPPIX file (no, something a lil more sophisticated than saving floppyconfig).

-SUO

01-13-2003, 06:10 PM
I'll add my $.02 to say this would be great to run KNOPPIX exactly the same off the HD. The CD works awesome... the HD install, my mouse won't work, sound won't work... it's the same crud I've had with all the other Linux (Redhat, Mandrake, Debian) installations - the most basic stuff just DOESN'T WORK.

So, I'm spending 40 hours of work trying to get an HD install to recognize my mouse. The funniest part is that Redhat 4.x (which I tried several years ago) worked beautifully for me. It seems like Linux stability is going the wrong direction, which is very sad indeed.

IgotAmadOn
01-14-2003, 01:27 AM
Belly achers! Knoppix installs to hdd fine for me on on 2 sperate machines and eveytings works super fine? I dont know yall's problem is?

sjborch
01-15-2003, 07:37 PM
I think most of this has been taken care of with the later builds. I've had no problems with the 12-12-02 ISO installed to HDD with knx-hdinstall. If anything, there's more when installed to the disk as you can reconfigure everything.