PDA

View Full Version : Error mounting HD

wuchang
02-12-2008, 04:06 AM
Hi I'm new to Linux and am using knoppix 5.1 to try and rescue some files from a failed boot of Windows XP on my Dell Laptop. Anyways, I am able to boot up Knoppix via cd, and mount my USB drive, however, when I try and mount my HD, I get message that says: "Error reading $MFT: Input/output error, failed to load $MFT: Input/output error, failed to startup volume: Input/output error, failed to mount /dev/hda1,
NTFS in inconsistent. Run chkdsk /f on Windows then reboot it TWICE! The usage of the /f parameter is very important. NO modification was made to NTFS by this software." So, I of course can't run windows on my computer and I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to workaround this, or fix it. I've searched the forum, but haven't seen anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

wuchang

hedgehog
02-16-2008, 06:10 AM
I was wondering if anybody knows of a way to workaround this, or fix it
You can run a utility that checks and fixes your hard drive from DOS. You'd need a Windows 98 boot floppy disk (or maybe some other kind of DOS disk, all I know is that my Win98 boot disk has it) and a floppy drive (you can buy an external drive which connects by USB if you don't have an internal floppy drive).