PDA

View Full Version : Please help me get my data back

neon kreuz
02-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Hello,
I recently 'damaged' my external HD (Maxtor) & now I can't have access to it through Windows. I thought I had lost over 200GB worth of data until I found KNOPPIX. I made the CD, & when I booted Linux the Maxtor was detected & even read =D
The problem is.... I can't seem to be able to port any data from the Maxtor to any other HD, as a backup... How can I do this?
I am able to make folders on other HDs through Linux... But when I try to move folders from Maxtor to other HDs, a 'transfer' window is displayed, which then reads 'stalled'. This means no data is copied... All my HDs are NFTS...
What can I do?

Additionally, I have another issue. I bought a second external HD (Maxtor2) on which to put all data as a second backup. The problem is, Maxtor2 is only available through my local network, that is, my LAN. Linux doesn't seem to be able to read it, & an error message that reads that something (I don't recall the name) is not enabled... Any help with that, please?

Harry Kuhman
02-13-2008, 07:56 AM
.... All my HDs are NFTS...
What can I do?
There are some who think it is safe to write to NTFS with the latest version of Knoppix. I'm not one of them, but some people take the risk.

What I would do in your case would be to network two computers, run Knoppix on the one with the disk that you are trying to recobver files from. Run Windows on the other one, the one with disk space available on NTFS partitions. Install a free FTP server on that system, then run it and configure it so Knoppix can use it. Then on the Knoppix system, use Konquror as a FTP client and transfer the files across the network to the NTFS disks. That way the NTFS disks are actually being written to by WIndows, not Linux. I have done this several times, it works well and is much faster than Windows networking. This is much safer than writing to NTFS with Linux (but you already found out the hard way that writing to NTFS isn't safe, even when done by Windows).

... an error message that reads that something (I don't recall the name) is not enabled... Any help with that, please?
When trying to get help, you would be well advised to get the information that you want to ask help on. I don't know what error you got. Maybe someone could guess, but some may guess wrong.

neon kreuz
02-16-2008, 07:27 PM
Tahnk you very much for the idea.. It sounds a lot more safe than using KNOPPIX to write on NTFS =)
But... The problem is that I don't know much about FTP servers =( So.. Seeing you have done this several times, can you help me set it up, please?
I have a spare laptop on this LAN which can be connected to the non-damaged HD, so I could use that... But I don't know much about what software to get, etc. Could you help me out, please?

Harry Kuhman
02-16-2008, 07:57 PM
Tahnk you very much for the idea.. It sounds a lot more safe than using KNOPPIX to write on NTFS =)
But... The problem is that I don't know much about FTP servers =( So.. Seeing you have done this several times, can you help me set it up, please?
I have a spare laptop on this LAN which can be connected to the non-damaged HD, so I could use that... But I don't know much about what software to get, etc. Could you help me out, please?
The one that I use most often is an older version, and unfortunately the newer version that has replaced it on the Web downloads has given me some configuration problems, so I don't use or recommend that (to be fair, I'm not going to give the name, as I have not looked at newer versions for several years and the problems that I hit may have been fixed).

I know filezilla is a free open source FTP server that does work. I'm not completely endeared with it either, as it seems to want to run stuff at boot time even if you don't plan on running the FTP server that session, but if you demand a name of something that will work, there's one. A far better choice may be to do a simple search (http://www.google.com/search?q=free+windows+ftp+server) and look over the current options. This solution is often termed Google is your friend or STFW. You may not even need a free server, a 30 day free trial of a commercial server would work too, at least for this recovery.