PDA

View Full Version : Operating system not found message

sloanezilla
02-15-2008, 03:27 AM
Hello I have an ibm t40. I downloaded knoppix 5.1.1 on my mac and burned the .iso file at low speeds and the put it in my ibm. I am booting from the cd drive and I keep getting the message "no operating system found". Any ideas. I am not very well versed in computer speak so if someone can explain like I'm a five year old from the 80's that would be great.

Thanks

sloanezilla
02-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Any help?????

rusty
02-16-2008, 05:13 AM
From all appearances , you have a badly burned cd. Perhaps if you could post exactly the way you burned the cd (software used etc) , we can help pinpoint the problem.

Take a look at the Downloading FAQ http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ .

sloanezilla
02-16-2008, 07:38 AM
THanks for the response. I downloaded this file KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso. I burned the exact file with my mac on the lowest burner setting possible. I used the burn folder option in my mac. I also tried extracting the file contents and burning it that way. Either way isn't working. thanks for your help.

OErjan
02-16-2008, 10:08 AM
you must burn the file as an ISO, read the FAQ.
specially the Download one here.
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Downloading_FAQ

and I have been kind enough to quote a part of it for you.

Q: I have downloaded the ISO file. How do I burn the ISO? How is the ISO supposed to be burned?

A: First check to see if the ISO that was downloaded is perfect & not corrupt. See the above FAQ labeled #Q: What are these strange MD5 files that accompany the ISO CD images?. If it passes the MD5 checksum then you must burn the ISO as an image.

If you have a cd-rw (re-writable) drive, you should opt to use cd-rw disks, saving you from wasting disks and allowing flexability. If you have a cd-r (recordable) drive you will need to use cd-r disks. You will need one 700MB/80min blank CD-RW or CDR disk.

* Linux
o You can use the command cdrecord or the CD burning program K3b (under "multimedia" in the "K[gear] menu).
* Windows
o Quick answer: Use a program such as Nero Burning Rom or Roxio CD Creator. You can get a free trial of Nero from their site. In most cases you will want to skip the burning wizard and choose File -> Burn Image or File -> Open. Select the KNOPPIX_Vxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.iso file, then -> Burn.
o Long answer: Of course the answer depends on the individual program you are using to burn CDs, but all common CD-Writing programs should support the option of burning the ISO as an image, you probably just have to find the right menu option. In the burning program, do not drag & drop the ISO into the burning screen. In the windows explorer, do not attempt to decompress the ISO with something like WinRAR or WinZip. You must CHOOSE to burn it as an image. Do not burn it at a fast speed greater than 16X. You must burn it at a very slow speed preferably 4X or 8X. Burn your CDR as a "Single Session CD" or select finalize. The Mode "Disk at once" or "Track at once" should not matter (have a look at the Online-Help of your burning software).
* Windows XP/2003 only
o Install the ISO Recorder plug-in for Windows Explorer. Once installed you merely right-click on the ISO image and choose "Copy image to CD".

A common mistake made when burning ISOs: "I downloaded & burned the ISO to CDR as a bootable data disc. Now it boots to a A:\ Caldera DR-DOS prompt." You are probably seeing something like:

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
Copyright (c) 1976, 1998 Caldera, Inc. All rights reserved.
[DR-DOS] A:\]

This means that the ISO was burned as a bootable CD or bootable data disc. A Knoppix ISO already includes the boot instructions so it is not necessary to burn it as as a bootable data CD. Burning the ISO file as an image will automatically take care of the bootable details.

It is also possible to burn a bootable Knoppix CD using a Mac. After you have downloaded and verified the .iso file, open Disk Utility from the Utilities folder. Choose Burn from the Images menu and select the .iso. The resulting disk will be bootable on most PCs, the same as if you had used another iso-burning tools.

sloanezilla
02-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Ok, so the part I wasn't understanding is burning an image which with a mac should be done with disc utility or toast. For the newbies there's your answer. I am now getting an error message when running knoppix:

Error: No suitable x-server found for your card
INIT: no more processes in this run level.

Any help?

Thanks very much

rusty
02-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Looks like there isn't a driver for the video on your T40 in Knoppix. Time to look at cheat codes: http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

Try vga=normal for starters, maybe someone with a T40 will have other suggestions.

sloanezilla
02-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks to everyone who helped me. I tried the vga=normal code and it didn't help. If anyone with a t40 can help me that would be great!