PDA

View Full Version : Adding second hard drive

kjkostuk
05-31-2003, 05:54 AM
I am installing Knoppix on a 10GB and want to use a 60GB drive to store my files and make backups from some other PCs.

What is the best way to add second hard drive?

Stephen
05-31-2003, 06:43 AM
I am installing Knoppix on a 10GB and want to use a 60GB drive to store my files and make backups from some other PCs.

What is the best way to add second hard drive?

There's only one way to add a second drive install it and boot the computer. :wink:

What question are you asking is it how would you have linux use the second drive after it is installed or how to partition for use as backup for the other PCs?? A little more information is required.

fingers99
05-31-2003, 03:37 PM
It really depends on what the other computers are running (and whether you want one big partition).

The important things to remember are

Linux can write and read just about any file system except ntfs (write is experimental and I'd not trust it with backups!)

Windows can't read any kind of Linux partition without 3rd party add ons.

So, fat32 is a good choice for mixed systems (but doesn't understand file permissions) while ext3 would be a good choice for a Linux system (or where the Windows boxen didn't need direct access).

kjkostuk
05-31-2003, 08:13 PM
What question are you asking is it how would you have linux use the second drive after it is installed or how to partition for use as backup for the other PCs?? A little more information is required.

You are right I need to be more clear.

I have Knoppix running on hda with 2 partitions - Linux and Linux swap.

I want to add a 60GB drive to store MP3 files and make backups. What is the best way to format and then mount the new drive so I can see the files from both the knoppix server and my Windows PC. My plan is to use Samba for r/w access to the 60GB drive. I don't think a FAT32 format is necessary, because I haven't needed to use that approach before under my existing setup.

Stephen
05-31-2003, 08:56 PM
You are right I need to be more clear.

I have Knoppix running on hda with 2 partitions - Linux and Linux swap.

I want to add a 60GB drive to store MP3 files and make backups. What is the best way to format and then mount the new drive so I can see the files from both the knoppix server and my Windows PC. My plan is to use Samba for r/w access to the 60GB drive. I don't think a FAT32 format is necessary, because I haven't needed to use that approach before under my existing setup.

Even if you needed the fat it is a simple process just install the drive and boot. Once you boot to your linux system run either fdisk or cfdisk to set your partitions on the new drive (you may have to re-boot to have changes take effect depends on the IDE controller) Then use mkfs to create your file system (mkfs then tab in console will show available fs creation types) you will most likely want to use either ext3 or reiser to save the long fsck with a drive that size.

If you have not made a mount point for the drive make it with mkdir then mount it and the drive is now available for use. Then edit the /etc/fstab for the entry for the new drive and next time you re-boot the drive will be there. After you have mounted the drive you should be able to access it with samba as you already do with your existing partition.

note: I usually have a partition /music for my mp3's an /extra just to install a new OS for testing and one for /storage or /backup whatever I feel like calling it. You may want to do something like this yourself.

All commands would be as root in a console and assuming you have the drive set to the proper master/slave config needed to install.