PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix hangs while booting...

jazzvernon
02-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Hello everyone, and thankyou in advance for any assistance.
For some reason Koppix v5.1.1 keeps hanging with the message: Probing/loading AGP modules... root!tty:/#
Ive tried several times without success, is this because im using a computer with an onboard graphics card?
Just for the heck of it i did try running it in Failsafe mode and it loaded but only showed one of my harddrives, and for some reason my mouse didnt work... why would that be?

Harry Kuhman
02-16-2008, 08:07 PM
..... for some reason my mouse didnt work... why would that be?
Failsafe disables most hardware detection, no mouse after a failsafe boot is quite normal. You very likely can run Knoppix on your hardware, but may need to use some "cheat codes" at boot time to get past some hardware detection problem. See the cheat codes document that you downloaded or the cheat codes section of the wiki. Unfortunately, I don't know what code your particular hardware needs and it can be rather trial and error to find the right code, or worse, combination of codes. Some common codes often needed include acpi=off, noscsi, and nodma. You might also want to try booting in expert mode, make notes about how you answer the questions, and note which question comes right before the hang. That may help find the proper code to use.

OP
04-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Is integrated onboard graphics problematic in Knoppix? Sometimes Knoppix v5.1.1 keeps hanging with the message: Probing/loading AGP modules... root!tty:/#

sometimes the boot process goes smoothly. Would a PCIe card cure the problem?

Thank you.

cbagger01
04-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Is integrated onboard graphics problematic in Knoppix? Sometimes Knoppix v5.1.1 keeps hanging with the message: Probing/loading AGP modules... root!tty:/#

sometimes the boot process goes smoothly. Would a PCIe card cure the problem?

Thank you.

Most integrated graphics are Intel video, which is well supported in Linux. Maybe you can use Google to search for information about you model of computer and Linux, or about your video chipset and linux.

You can always try a separate video card, but make sure that it is supported in Linux before purchasing that card.

OP
05-16-2008, 10:44 AM
... did not cure the situation (MSI NX8500GT).

I was staring at the screen while booting and found message "Firewire found, managed by udev". Strange, i think, 'cause the motherboard has no Firewire port, just USB-ports and USB-HUB connected to the PC?

Thanks.

cbagger01
05-28-2008, 03:50 AM
... did not cure the situation (MSI NX8500GT).

I was staring at the screen while booting and found message "Firewire found, managed by udev". Strange, i think, 'cause the motherboard has no Firewire port, just USB-ports and USB-HUB connected to the PC?

Thanks.

Type the following at the boot prompt:

knoppix nofirewire noudev

and see if it works.

OP
06-02-2008, 08:25 AM
Thanks cbagger01. Just wondering what does this message "AGP bridge detected" mean, the graphics card is MSI NX8500GT, PCIe card?

Thank you.

sasij
06-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Try "noagp" as the cheat code so it will look like this "knoppix noagp".