PDA

View Full Version : knetworkmanager

devguy
02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Hello All,

I have a question about installing and running knetwormanager under knoppix 5.1.1. I have been getting into remastering knoppix to customize it to my needs. I have been really enjoying moving to knoppix from suse and ubuntu and so far so good. The one problem I am having is getting my wireless network to connect with wpa enabled. I can use wep to connect but do not want to use it instead of wpa.

I have been through the forum and reviewed the network articles but had little or no luck getting connected. I tried kwifi,madwifi and all utils built into knoppix. All my cards are recognized and my wireless scans no problem in those applications. This leaves me missing knetworkmanger wich I know works on other distros with no problems.

The problem I am having is that I want to scrap the networking tools in the current knoppix and get knetworkmanager to work instead. As I said it is easier to use and worked great in other distros. I also noticed it worked and was installed in kanotix.

I have my software being pulled from debian stable "etch". I do an apt-get install network-manager-kde and the application does install no problem. No errors or anything, the problem is that when I run it I get "no network device found". Is there away to get this application to work?

I really do not want to switch to kanotix because of one issue. Could someone help me? I thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Thanks,
Frank

devguy
02-21-2008, 05:41 AM
For anyone else who is interested.After digging around I found that I was able to get this to work. Here is what I had to do...

1)apt-get install knetworkmanager (etch reps)

2)vi /etc/network/interfaces (Clear this file of all the entries. Not sure if this is needed.)

3)cd /etc/dbus-1/system.d (Modify the two files in the directory called knetworkmanager.conf and Networkmanager.conf. On these two files I set policy user="knoppix")

I then started it and it worked like a charm. Connected wpa no problem and picked up my wired network. I would still like to hear if anyone has other feedback on this.

I was wondering if KNOPPIX adds the entries to /etc/network/interfaces at boot and how can I stop that. Like I said I am not sure if this file needs to be empty but the above steps did work.

Frank

rusty
02-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Maybe this will help

http://wiki.debian.org/WPA

devguy
03-02-2008, 06:34 PM
#Back up the current ifconfig file
mv /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.back

#Use touch to create a blank file needed for knetworkmanager
touch /etc/network/interfaces

#Replace the root user in these files with the knoppix user
sed -i 's/root/knoppix/g' '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/knetworkmanager.conf'
sed -i 's/root/knoppix/g' '/etc/dbus-1/system.d/NetworkManager.conf'

knetworkmanager - launch and enable it as the knoppix user. You might have to disable and enable it if it says no devices found.